Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Check This Out

Old 12-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Check This Out

Alright about a week ago during late bow my uncle shot a nice 10 pointer with one side busted off, so acually it was a 5 pointer. Anyway he thought o yeah musta just got busted off. Ok he goes to look for the deer for about 3 hours, can't find. He knows he hit it because he SAW the arrow anter the body. Goes home goes back out with his son until its too dark to see. He goes out and has looked everywhere he thought the buck might have ran, he checks one more place that he has no faith in finding the deer in, but lone and behold, he finds it, only, its a doe????? He walks up to it and thinks, wat the heck im positive he had 5 points. Then he looks up and finds the side on the ground about 4 feet away. He concludes the buck didn't get it busted off, he sheded one side then got shot, then sheded the other before he died. He figures out that the reason he couldn't find any blood trail is beacuse the arrow entered from above but didn't exit the bottom, so the body cavity just filled up with blood, and none leaked out. So he tags it with his antlerless tag. I think that he should look into the exact rules on that, is it considered antlered, or not, it was antlered when he shot it soo...??? I mean that was a waste of a good doe tag, so what do you think it should have been, antlered, or antlerless????
Old 12-25-2003, 06:57 PM

Default RE: Check This Out

Should have been tagged antlered, because when he first saw the deer, it still had horns.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:11 PM

i agree with smitty... it had antlers when it was hit..
Old 12-25-2003, 08:39 PM

I am going to have to diasagree with you guys. yeah your right it had antlers when he shot it but is he tagging the deer alive when it had an antler or now when it is antlerless? Its an antlerless deer ur bringing to the tagging station. so unless they have a "had one antler when i shot tag" then i would tag it antlerless.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:31 PM

maybe its not the same deer.....
Old 12-26-2003, 04:16 AM

Ithink you did the right thing by tagging it antlerless-even if it had antlers before you found it, dont think GW would like it too much bringing it in tagged as buck w/no antlers. jmo.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:40 AM

I would tag it as antlerless.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:33 AM
nub

I never would have shot it in the first place.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

antlerless her in WI it must have 3 inches of antler on deer. anumber of years ago took what we thought to be a big doe but when we got to it both horns were broken off at about 2 1/2 inches and put on antlerless tag. When registering a warden was there and ask him and he said even though at one time it was a legal buck with the horns broken had to use antlerless.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:13 PM

Well he shot it with a buck tag in mind! rcw280 this is different because we are talking minutes here not months. Should have tagged it a buck.

Quick Reply: Check This Out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.