HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Nocturnal??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/47317-nocturnal.html)

121553 12-25-2003 05:49 PM

Nocturnal???

Aren't deer normally nocturnal? Yes, but more so when the pressure is on them. It doesn't take very long for the big boys to figure this out. I got aggravated during the rut this year when I would find buck tracks in my footprints from the previous evening. After several mornings of this I slept in and started hunting at 10 A.M. and this is when I saw the most activity and managed to finaly get the nice 4 pointer I been hunting. I knew I was in great buck country, but our timeing was off as it finally paid off. I believe a deer has to get up and feed ever 5-6 hours, and you gotta be there when they do. Any imput? Bobby ;)

Smitty_nc1 12-25-2003 06:45 PM

RE: Nocturnal???

It doesn't take very long for the big boys to figure this out.

After several mornings of this I slept in and started hunting at 10 A.M. and this is when I saw the most activity and managed to finaly get the nice 4 pointer I been hunting.

I knew I was in great buck country, but our timeing was off as it finally paid off.
Ok. You got me confused. Are you hunting "Trophy Bucks" or young 4 pointers? I will agree on the part about "The Big Boys going Noturnal", but most people that I have ever talked to don't consider a 4 pointer a "Big Boy".

Also, I agree that you have to change up the way and times you hunt to get a chance at the "Big Boys".

Big Country 12-25-2003 06:50 PM

Ok. You got me confused. Are you hunting "Trophy Bucks" or young 4 pointers? I will agree on the part about "The Big Boys going Noturnal", but most people that I have ever talked to don't consider a 4 pointer a "Big Boy".
I believe Bobby is from Montana. Guys out west count points different than us "flatlanders"!:D

I am guessing what he is talking about, we would call an 8 point.

Help me out here Bobby.:D

Wandrews6002 12-25-2003 07:18 PM

i would have to say yes they are because when it snowed, me and my buddy were out there all day and saw nothing, we left when it was dark, and that day before i walked in, i always spray doe urine on my boots so it leaves them a trail right to me, and i never saw any that day. the next day we went out to the same spot and there were tracks all along my footprints following me to where i was sitting. made me mad. never saw any that day either.
-Billy

121553 12-25-2003 08:36 PM

My apology Smitty, when in Rome do as the Romans do, but I guess according to the eastern count you would call it an eight pointer. Here we call it a four, never an eight. Filling a deer tag is no problem as I have deer here on my property, but I try to hold out till the last day in hopes of filling that trophy tag, but I shot this one 4 days before the end of season, it had its G-3 broken off and a two inch tear in its ear from a battle a day or two prior to me popping it. The rut here peaks out the last week in Nov. ever year and the phases of the moon has nothing to do with it. Bobby;)

skeeter 7MM 12-25-2003 10:01 PM

Bobby I agree 100% with your theory & methods. I have killed more mature bucks at midday than all other times combined during the rut phase(this includes late pre, full blown and early post). Last year we harvested 5 mature bucks one was shot at open light and 4 others were midday(3 of which were rattled out around noon-late pre rut). This year I harvested both my bucks right around high noon. First 5x5 -7 1/2 year old in full blown rut - rattled out, second a 5x5 - 5 1/2 year old post rut at 12:30pm in a transition area.

Change up is the best pitch to have for hunting mature bucks, don't get stuck in a rut(pun). Hunt deeper, smarter and longer when ever possible.

121553 12-26-2003 09:35 PM

Sounds like you had a great season Skeeter. You are no doubt in prime trophy country.
The last two weeks I did not see a buck in the mornings at all, but I knew when I was in there prior to daybreak that I missed him by an hour or two with fresh signs of some scrapes on top of the new snow. I started changing my timeing and this is when I noticed does/smaller bucks very active at this time, but no shooters, I saw this buck that I got two other times and persistance and patience pays off. I got him at 12:30 in the afternoon.
I have learned one thing though is dureing a full moon you may want to sleep in and hunt late mornings to late evening. Bobby;)

slippery 12-27-2003 05:27 PM

no! no! no! deer were not a nocturnal animal, we are making them nocturnal now from all the hunting pressure.

mikej92280 12-28-2003 03:48 PM

I have a hard time believing a mature buck just lays there from sun up to sun down but thats jmo

121553 12-28-2003 07:12 PM

Mike, I really don't think they can either, especially in freezing conditions, seems like they got to get up and get the blood flowing a little. Not really too sure how long a deer can go without eating, but I would guess they have to eat every 5-6 hours, but not really sure myself. But dureing the rut, you never know when their active, but you need to be their when they are. Good Luck Bobby ;)