Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!! >

NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-25-2003, 11:17 AM

Default RE: NEED HELP RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

I get into my truck and turn my lights on, there are 4 deer standing at my mailbox, not EVEN 50 yeards away, I could hit them with a gravel if I tried.
If you have to turn your truck lights on to see the deer in your driveway........

I will leave it at that.

Any opinions?
You Most likely have 2 dead deer out there

GO FIND THEM
Old 12-25-2003, 11:28 AM

This thanksgiving i was setting in my stand and had a good buck come running towards me, he stopped at 80 yards facing me, and I make the decision to shoot him in the chest, He had his head turned sideways but his chest was directly towards me, I'll admit that I flinched and pulled off, the bullet went right through his windpipe (I didnt find this out till later) the buck didnt even flinch. I loaded another shell, he turned and went up the other side of the hollow, he stopped on the side of the hill at a real steep angle, buck fever has me comsumed by now, I shoot again this time aiming for the vitals, and it knocks him off his feet and he rolls to the bottom of the hollow, I think hes down but he jumps back up and runs abotu 15 yards then stops, he stood there for close to a minute, I figured he would drop any minute so I didnt have the scope on him, but he took off running instead and got away, got away from me that is my dad was settin in teh next hollow and dropped him. Upon examination, My first bullet went through the windpipe and the second blew his shoulder up but the anglewas steep enough that the bullet didnt get in deep enough, 1 more inch and he would been a goner. but this buck just stood there and let me shoot at him.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:33 AM

Rack attack has the right idea here. You should not have shot the 2nd deer (unless you had a two doe tag) since you know that you hit 1 very well! I think that you should look at your ethics standards for a second.... [:@]
Old 12-25-2003, 11:46 AM

HiHi

I live in North Carolina, its open season on all deer, we dont have a "buck" and "doe" tag. We are allowed to shoot 10 deer in 4 months.

Hows that for ethics.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:47 AM

Yes, I always drive with my lights on, BUT it was LEGAL in my state, the sun was up, and as its described as "blackcoat" when you can see the outline of animals but not see thier color.

There isnt a person on this board that wouldnt have shot one of those deer at that time sitting 50 yds from their house with gunshots from other hunters going off around the area.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check your mailbox. Maybe they were dropping off an anonymous tipe on where the first deer was hiding out.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:34 PM

I wouldnt have shot at the second group of deer,, until I looked for the first.

To answer your question,, last year I walked into a 2-3 acre field in the middle of a thick cedar swamp. There was a doe, a fork and a nice eight point in it, all within 80 yards of me. The doe took off running, the fork continued to graze, the 8 point tried to play hide and seek. I shot the 8 point,, the fork ran a 15 yard semicircle,, looked around for a second and continued to graze!

I just couldnt pull the trigger on it and I had several oppurtunites in the next 10 minutes and a couple times while field dressing the 8. I ended up watching that deer walk right into my buddy after I had the crosshairs on it about 5 or 6 times! He put his crosshairs on it once!
Old 12-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you better figure out where your gun shoots and another thing is if you can't hit the kill zone the size of the chest, there NOWAY your going to hit one in the head, kinda sounds like Doefever may have set in. Bobby
Old 12-25-2003, 04:24 PM

Amusing, I just fired off 40 shots at Pepsi bottles from exactly 100 yards.
I missed 6
Old 12-25-2003, 04:38 PM

I looked for the first deer for 4 hours at LEAST.
I am thinking it ran into the farmers field next to my land. My land is mostly wooded but totally surrounded by cattle fields.

If it ran into one of them, then there is no way I could chase it, I dont fancy hopping over 4 ft high electrified fences, and the farmer is a SEVERE anti hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.