Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Lost in the woods..

Old 12-27-2003, 11:51 PM

Default RE: Lost in the woods..

yah a buddy of mine and me were out looking for sheds and we got lost as all heck, there was a few houses around but we couldnt find the road for the life of us. Then his sister calls "where are you guys";" were lost"him, "well where are you ill come get you!her, WERE LOST!!!! she didnt figure that out right away, not the brightest crayon in the box, we finally found our way to a road, as it was getting dark. man, were we every freakin out this was when we were 12 yrs old.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

One time me and my brother got lost grouse hunting. We were hunting a place for the first time. And started getting into some birds. They would flush to soon to shoot and we would follow them. We had covered alot of ground and realized we didn't know which way to the truck. So we guessed which way we should go and started off. Naturally we were wrong and wondered another 3 hours til we finally found the road about a mile from the truck. My brothers dog was so tired it couldn't hardly walk. So i walked ahead and got the truck. On the way home I got a charlie horse in my leg and bout kickrd the dash board out of the truck.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:43 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Been lost a few times. Sometimes in countries where I didn't speak the language. Been lost mountain biking in Europe. Few basic things. Be prepared. I carry a thermal blanket (that shiny mylar thing that folds up to a few inches long.) Knife, source of fire. These days I have my cell phone too...if I can get a signal. You just keep your whits about you and surrender yourself to the situation. You don't surrender your fate....just the fact that you ain't gonna be gettin your fat overfed butt outta the woods when you planned on doing it. Been lost in the night when it was warm enough to backtrack till I found the trail I had lost. Been lost in the evening when I knew it was too cold to keep going forward, and took the last hour of daylight to get my impromptu campsite ready next to my mountain bike. sometimes it's neccassary to be uncomfortable for a few hours to get comfortable again later.
The best advice I ever got was from an old computer engineer who took me under his wing. " Let this be your guide.....just don't do anything stupid."

David.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 PM

Even if you don't smoke, it is a very good idea to bring a pack of cigarettes (even if they are old) with your fire source, it can aid in starting a good fire for warmth or signal.