Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods? >

What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods?

Old 12-24-2003, 12:17 PM

Default What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods?

I have run into some great old time hunters, who shared some great tips for hunting elk and deer, and of course I have some of my own. One of my tips, when hunting on any ground that contains cattle, is use the cow pies as a scent blocker, I step both feet in them and head up to my area. I know this helps eliminate scents picked up around camp, anyone want to share some of there secerts.

Dr. Mike
Old 12-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Not a oldtimer but..

Hunt the wind. As a bowhunter I have learner that in rifle season you got to hunt the wind when your on the ground. Deer with alot of pressure use their nose with out question and if your down wind, forget it. Change your hunting strategy to match what the wind is doing.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods?

ORIGINAL: outdoor338
I step both feet in them and head up to my area. I know this helps eliminate scents picked up around camp, anyone want to share some of there secerts.
No offence intended, but that sounds a bit crappy. hehehe...
Old 12-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What hunting tips would you like to share, for your sucess in the woods?

First thing I would suggest is to put as much effort in finding quality places to hunt as you can. That will increase your odds right off. Second is thourghly scout the areas you hunt so you know how the game move and use the property. Third is to practise alot with you weapon so you have confidence when the opportunity comes.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

We always try and hang our stands on the backside
of each tree, especially if we know how deer are
moving through the area. This will help cover any
movement we might make and/or getting the bow
drawn with deer close by.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my favorite topics is outdoor navigation. Hunting a piece of private land is one thing, Hunting a massive chunk on national forest is another thing.

The act of "hunting" will come to those who are patient and will listen to the advice of others. Being self-confident in the woods is something that needs to be learned long before treking off the beaten path.

My advice is simple, yet complex. Learn the art of navigating with a GPS. Learn about using a topographical map. Learn about Grids and grid coordinates. Learn how to determine direction with and without a compass. Learn how to do a resection on your map with only a straight stick. Then learn about doing a resection using an azimuth converted to a back azimuth including the G-M angle.

When a person is confident in the woods, the rest will come.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scouting is hunting, so why wouldn't one get out and do it at every available moment. Preparation is a key to success be prepared by scouting, planning, patience, practicing(range with the weapon of choice), calling, approach, retreat, back up plan(Various winds, weather, time of year, phase of rut, etc.) & the ability to use a navigational tool: GPS (always carry a back up compass) &/or Compass.

Never stop allowing yourself to learn: one can never have enough knowledge, so please keep learning! Also don't be affraid to try something new, technique, stand placement or maybe spot n stalk, etc. part of the learning/knowledge process.

Watch the pressure you put on the game. Do not get stuck in rut in a particular area or over use one stand or stands.

The number #1 tip has already been stated but I think of it as the Golden Rule "Keep the wind on your nose at all times"(meaning in your favor)
Old 12-25-2003, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't fall asleep .
Old 12-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would have to say other than cow piles, any fresh deer or hog stuff works good too...but i would say learning is the key, scouting and learning the land you'll be hunting , try to use the sun as your compass, but always have a real one with you , just in case , lolknow what you and your weapon is capable of.....
Old 12-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I certainly agree with those who put emphasis on scouting, always being aware of the wind, having your weapon of choice in good working order and sighting-in prior to Opening Day. That being said, to me, the biggest thing a hunter can do to increase his/her chances of a successful season is to be totally dedicated to the hunt and practice perserverance 100% of the time. The old saying : You can shoot a deer from the camp" is so true. Spending as much time in the woods, especially when the weather is uncooperative and other hunters have left for warmer places, is paramount. Dedicate yourself, become totally immersed in the hunt, and try to be as alert as psooible for as long as possible....to me, that not only leads to success but self gratitude as well.