Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember? >

What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember?

Old 12-22-2003, 06:13 PM

Default What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember?

What is your best shot on game? I have been hunting for well over 30+ years, and have had some great hunts, but hunting stories are fun to tell, and so here goes my story: I was gun hunting for deer in central Wisconsin, the morning was cold, snow, and blizzard conditions. I walked into the woods and found my tree stand, as I climbed the ladder stand, loaded with gear, I noticed a nice buck walking towards my stand, as I hung on for dear life on the wooded ladder, I slowly shouldered my 44 Mag Ruger clinging to the 2X4 on the step, and sighted in on the chest, a slowly squeezed the trigger, Click...I quickly took a shell out of my pocket and loaded as quietly as I could and reloaded, when the buck was about 45 yards away, I fired off a round and scored on a nice 10 pointer, any good stories to share? I would like to hear them, thanks.

Dr. Mike
Old 12-22-2003, 06:17 PM

Default RE: What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember?

a doe,buck,bobcat,yote,turkey they all got droped in their tracks .

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 PM

a lefty off handed shot on a deer...dropped him, too
Old 12-22-2003, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

My best shot was at Red Fox. I snuck up on him while he was mousing in a grass waterway and stuck him at 30 yards with my bow.

Several years ago I was hunting a dove preserve with buddies. The place hosted dove hunters in September and goose hunters in November thru January. We sat on buckets side by side next to a wooden goose blind.
Many times when we would fire, some wasps would come out of the blind and chase us off our buckets. Since the cover was sparse(it was planted in wheat and milo) we had few choices of where to hide in our assigned area.

One group of doves came flying by and I fired, killing one. I looked at my buddy Bob who had followed one particular dove from right to left. He swung with the bird and rolled off his bucket, shooting as he was about to hit the ground. He got 'em.

Good huntin'!
LLBUX
Old 12-22-2003, 08:58 PM

On my first wyo antelope hunt (doe) my second tag wasn't filled yet so my dad and I found a herd of about sixty they were grazing 3/4 of a mile away over a hill and in this valley. So fully uotfitted in bulky camo and carrying a gun with only three shells( I forgot to get the rest of the box) I ran 3/4 mile uphill. When I was at the top and looking down on these antelope i picked one out and shot unsupported standing up about a 100 yd. shot. I had been trembling so bad that I completely missed. took shot number 2, complete miss. 1 shot left and they were running about 75 yds from where I was standing when I pulled up on a doe. She was running so I decided to lead her like a bird. 1 shot clean kill, irresponsible and stupid though [:'(].
Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was duck hunting on this creek,walking along the bank trying to jumpshoot when 5 Mallards flew up.Dropped 2 drakes and a hen with 3 shots.As far as deer hunting-I had this deer around my stand for an hour or so-wouldn't give me a good shot.Eventually it started to leave the area,walking straight away from me.Again,no clean shot.All of sudden,it turned slightly to the left to drop over a ridge when the recurve automatically came up,I anchored and let the arrow loose.Perfect double-lung and a 10yd recovery.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

i shot a doe this year at about 100 yards standing freehand....dropped her in her tracks...if youve ever seen jeremiah johnson remember when bearclaw jack or whatever his name is...the Grizz hunter...is teaching him and he shoots that elk....well it dropped the same way......it was a mighty nice shot i think....my normal shots are about 30yards so that was a "far one" for me....and standing free hand too...i knew my squirrel hunting would come in handy.....speaking of squirrel hunting i shot one about 75yards away...i was sitting above a ravine i could see clear to a creek about 100yards away....and the ravine has a tiny feeder in it....well i was there about 30 mins and seen nothing....but i was tired..didnt want to walk and had a comfy spot and knew squirrels used it often.....so i decided to enjoy the day and wait...maybe a deer would come by or something to watch if nothing else....well out of nowhere i seen a big tree rat.....about 75yards down the ravine...pulled up the 22....said no way...i figured it would drop...aimed right for the top of his head(take account for SOME drop...) squeezed one off...heard the shot....then heard the thud....then watched him fall right into the feeder.....it was crazy....i thought i missed then i heard it hit...it wasnt a long time but long enough to get the oh no i missed feeling....bullet hit right between the eyes i do believe......dang nice shot for a 22 with a cheap tasco 4x scope......
Old 12-22-2003, 09:21 PM

i got my brother to go out with me one year and in our part of the woods we get does and lots of them but i told him where to sit and where they would come from and just past sun rise time to start pushing bush he sees a cow not 30 feet to the side then no thats a deer and he shot with my .270 i was 50 feet down the tree line and jumped then herd him say Lyall, (thats me) is it down i yell back b/c a guy in town lost one like that. he keeps saying he got one till i get their and as i pull out my knife to gut it the last bits of life came out so i jumped on its back and cut the neck to the bone b/c i saw no blood the bullet enterd in the rib 1 inc from to low and it left with a hole the size of the bullet it was the rib that cut the heart, liver ect i even found some corn in the chest it was 200lbs and a 5x6 (a nine pt for all you in the usa) the best i have ever seen, so now i think... why did i ask him to come with me if i was 50 ft down the tree line?
oh yeah the look on his face, the look of a hunter
Old 12-23-2003, 03:13 PM

Morning hunt in a large cutover, standing in some small scrub oak slightly below the crest of a hill looking down into a ravine. 20 minutes after sunrise a 6 pt. comes slipping along the lower part of the hill I was on. At 40 yards I take the shot in the front shoulder and exited opposite side a little low and behind the off shoulder. Deer takes off running down hill, crosses the little creek and starts up the other side, try to take the 2nd shot and the semi auto was hung up, the deer is now about 120 yards out and has turned to run left to right in front of me, I pull my folding buck knife off my hip and gave the receiver handle a sharp lick with it driving another round home, bring the rifle up and put one right thru his heart at 120 yards on the run.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

My best shot ever happened this year. I had a deer come in over a ridge in a 2 year old cutover about 300 yards out making his way directly towards me. He was walking in the shadows of the early morning sun. I couldn't make out any antlers due to the shadows but judging by his size and the way he was walking with his nose to the ground I was sure it was a buck. He turned and walked into a thicket following the trail of a doe that had come through 30 minutes earlier and disapeared. I spotted him twice through an opening in the brush but still no signs of antlers. Then he stepped out into a sunny opening just over 200 yards away. I could now see the glistening of his antlers in the sun. His body was hidden by a patch of sage brush but as he raised his head checking the wind his neck was exposed. I've never been one to take low percentage shots but having a lot of confidence in my rifle decided to take the shot. I gently squeezed the trigger and the bullet hit it's mark. He dropped in his tracks.

Turned out to be a nice 8 pointer and the best deer I've killed so far. Best thing of all is that I had my 8 year old son there to share the whole experience with.

Quick Reply: What's your best or most difficult shot on game, you can remember?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.