Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 (Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ? >

(Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

(Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ?

Old 12-22-2003, 07:49 AM

Default (Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ?

Why o Why
If only shooting Rosters helps the pheasent population from getting to thin then shoudn't we be appling or Doe tags.[&:]
Someone take me the school please.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: (Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ?

No need taking you to school, your game department may need to go to school if you have a deer population problem, 1 doe equals at least 1 more deer every year and usually two every year. When the population explodes you need to take out the does, their better eating anyhow!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tazman has it.

My point is...

Iv'e never been anywhere where it was said, there are just too many pheasants here, but I have heard "there are way too many deer here.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:34 AM

I guess if I have unfilled tags I want more deer,you know what I mean Vern?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

The harvest of rosters is a limiting factor on the impact humans make on the pheasant population by way of hunting (it has nothing to do with population management, due to predators pheasants really would never need to be hunted to keep the population in check). Deer on the other hand have fewer predators in most parts of NA and the DNR/Government rely heavily on hunters to keep the population in check. Like Taz said the harvest of a single doe is 2-3 deer for next year, 6-9 year after and so on...it just makes sense to trim the does (as long as the ratio of does & bucks remains in check) for population control. As far as does better than bucks for table fare, I don't agree with this statement. I have had tough does and tender bucks, it really depends on the diet, age, region, stress(to name a few) and care after the harvest. Just made some deer stir fry last night off a 7 1/2 year old pine buck, tasted as good as my 3 1/2 year old farmland doe...no difference it taste, quality or texture.

If you have unfilled tags, then how is that a management problem???? If you want more deer and aren't seeing them, well then I would talk to the DNR. However if the signs are their(tracks, etc) but just not seeing them you need to do some scouting and possibly a different style(s) of hunting. I am just guessing at what ? you are asking here, if you could clarify some please, I am a little lost.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't have both with the numbers of hunters in PA. You either have lots of deer, with a few tags and chances to hunt them. Or you have fewer deer and lots of tags to try and use.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I totally agree with Tazman. Take the doe to control populations. I haven't noticed much difference in the taste of bucks or doe. But as far as population control, take the bucks.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:01 AM

Thanks Skeeter
Old 12-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

If its for meat which is why I shoot deer then I won't even think about shooting a buck. Where I hunt you have to thin out the doe or the damage to crops and hay stacks would be unacceptable. This year I saw several herds of mule deer numbering 60-75 head in just a couple days of hunting. That many deer can eat a lot of hay in a winter.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

James B

It sure would be nice to see that many deer in a couple of days of season. Can I come up to Wall and hunt with you?

Quick Reply: (Buck vs doe) (Roster vs hen) ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.