Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer bones for dogs??

Old 12-20-2003, 03:51 PM

Default deer bones for dogs??

i've heard that giving your dog deer bones will make them mean (or wild). is there any truth to this??
Old 12-20-2003, 03:54 PM

Default RE: deer bones for dogs??

no
Old 12-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Absolutley Not,It won't make your dog mean.
I have fed my dogs the scraps and trimming and also save the carcass for feeding through winter bones and all.
My dogs are very freindly,they play with the grandkids.
The way you raise your dog is what determines if it is mean and nasty or freindly.
My dogs are protective they let me know if someone is walking by,,By the means of barking.
My dogs can go by the deer hanging in the shed but they never touch it until I debone it and give them scraps.Once I have cut it up and gave them the bones and scraps they will eat it then.
But make them mean NEVER
Old 12-20-2003, 08:22 PM

I would be careful about that. Two dogs I know of got into adeer carcass and the older dog died weeks later. The vet said he couldn't pass the bones he swallowed and they tried everything. the younger one a lab finally came out of it . The vet said he was young enough that he probably had more elasticity in his digestive tract. The deer bones don't seem to dissolve as quickly as some others.Just what I have heard and seen. I make my beagle go without on the deer bones.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

No to your question. However, listen to Stephen. I deer hunt and have never given any of the bones to dogs. As a vet, I have seen too many broken teeth, vomiting/diarrhea episodes, and very sick dogs due to boney obstructions, some requiring surgery.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:12 AM

I run deer, fox and coyote hounds and I feed them deer meat and bones all the time...never had any problems
Old 12-21-2003, 06:36 PM

i think i'll go with the vet on this one.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:50 PM

NO- but just be careful because sometimes when we give them to my dog she's fine and other times she gets sick.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only thing I have ever heard that will make a dog mean if fed to them is gunpowder and that may be an old wifes tale. I feed my dogs deer bones all the time with no ill effects, but after reading what the vet has to say they may start doing with out, but they have been eating them for years so I may still give them the bones.