HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Trees - What happens when they don't move (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46851-trees-what-happens-when-they-dont-move.html)

TSR6 12-19-2003 08:22 PM

Trees - What happens when they don't move

The pictures kinda speak for themselves, but they don't display the whole story behind it.

The pictures ( assuming i do this correctly ) are in order, view from my stand, tree's front-size, tree's backside, and then the result.

Story:
A nice 8-point buck came trotting down the path, actually kinda snuck up on me. The tree in this picture is actually from my second shot, about 20'ish yards from my stand. I took the second shot after the deer took off from the first, as I wasn't sure how good of a hit I had made.

It was meant to be squeezed off after the two trees to the right, and before the thick crap to the left..most of which is off camera, but that tiny tree just happened to jump in front of the slug. Deer's Secret Service I guess.. :-P

The slug that went through the tree still hit the deer.. which is pretty cool.

Rack-attack 12-19-2003 08:30 PM

RE: Trees - What happens when they don't move

Super Buck and congrats:D

The tree aint bad either;)

TSR6 12-19-2003 08:36 PM

The tree was a little small for my tastes. I'm still not sure what to do with it. Possibly cut it down and mount the trophy, and then burn the rest, but I don't think there would be much firewood coming from it... :D

The buck is my largest, 8 points, and a little over 20" spread.

titleist_03 12-19-2003 09:28 PM

Two kills with one shot! NICE!!!! Congrats on the deer. :D

young_gun 12-19-2003 10:42 PM

congrats, nice buck

plainsman 12-20-2003 02:38 AM

Nice buck!!Just one question, how much for a tree tag in your area??:D

davidmor 12-20-2003 05:39 AM

Wow, what a great story. I would cut out the tree section and mount it next to the trophy! I did sort of the same thing this year. I shot through a branch of the tree I was in and still hit the deer. I was picking wood splinters out of the deer between the hide and muscle. It was pretty cool.[8D]

KoBear 12-20-2003 10:05 AM

thats crazy. nice tree. dont see any pics of the buck, but congrats. i would NOT cut this tree down, b/c it will heal, and years later you will be able to pick it out and point it out to others. cool pic of tree from side. what kinda slug?

BigBuckFrenzy10 12-20-2003 10:30 AM

congrats on the beutiful 8 pt. looks similar to the one i shot this year
pat

TSR6 12-20-2003 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: KoBear

thats crazy. nice tree. dont see any pics of the buck, but congrats. i would NOT cut this tree down, b/c it will heal, and years later you will be able to pick it out and point it out to others. cool pic of tree from side. what kinda slug?

If the picture of the deer didn't load for you, then try clicking here.

I would be surprised if the tree lives, the slug went right through the center, and splintered it pretty deep on the backside.

The slug was a Winchester Partition Gold slug.