HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   baiting at night (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46805-baiting-night.html)

cffreeman 12-19-2003 01:28 PM

baiting at night

The season is nearing an end and I haven't seen anything during the day for the last few weeks. I thought about trying to bait with corn at night around my stand, maybe that would keep some of the deer from coming in at night and therefore coming in during the day. What do you guys think? Is this reasonable at all? Thanks

C

NEB.BuckHunter 12-19-2003 01:30 PM

RE: baiting at night

I personally don't know if that'a good idea. It all depends on if it's legal in your state. Here in Nebraska, it is illegal to bait for deer. It also would depend on how long your season is. It wouldn't help if the end of season is only a couple of days away. It will need longer time to develope and bring the deer in.

skeeter 7MM 12-19-2003 01:52 PM

I agree to work a bait properly you need time to get a pattern. Also deer will become accustom to coming when the bait is freshed, & often come around then. If you baited at night it would be counter productive, IMO. Your much better off baiting in the morning or midday to try and pattern the deer using the bait to the legal time you can hunt. Of course this is assuming the bait is placed in an area that the deer would feel safe to come out and feed in broad daylight...since you said stand I will assume your hunting the a wooded area. A good bait will have deer on it almost all day long regardless of the time of day, some deer will only come at night though but not all deer will keep the late hours.

I haven't baited for a few years now, but we would try to have them rebaited by noon and it worked fine. We often kicked deer off the bait only to have them return shortly after the scene settled. The key is pattern and keep it stocked, once she runs dry then the deer move on!

NEB.BuckHunter 12-19-2003 03:11 PM

Skeeter,

You are 100% right. That's something I forgot to add to my post. I'm glad that you caught it. Are you able to bait up North? If so, does it work real well?

skeeter 7MM 12-19-2003 03:37 PM

NEB in Saskatchewan it is legal to bait and it can work very well when done properly. In the forest and fringe areas it can be dynamo, I guess that is why most outfitter employ the technique here.

I prefer to be able to roam free and not feel tied to one or two spots, I let the wind tell me what direction I am headed, scouting and my mood dictates where I will sit and for how long...it is a good technique but I just prefer others now.

mtair 12-19-2003 05:48 PM

in n.y. baiting is illegal , but we used to feed the deer sweet feed after season behind our homes . talk about patterning they would know exactly when it was chow time they would wait just inside the woods fringe . you tap the bottom of the feed pail a couple times and turn your back to walk away and they ran to the feeder!