HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How many of you weigh your deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46729-how-many-you-weigh-your-deer.html)

Split-Hoof 12-18-2003 09:02 PM

How many of you weigh your deer?

I ask this question simply because I live in a state (Maine) where dressed weight is more highly regarded than antler score. In fact, many local hunters (particularly oldtimers)think it is foolish to put a tape measure to a rack. "Ya can't eat the horns ya know!"

Personally, I'd love to get a buck with a huge rack.....but body size is equally as important to me. Booners are very rare, but 200 pounders aren't uncommon. A 300 pound booner would be the stuff of my dreams!

I'm just curious.....how many other areas make it common practice to weigh deer (field-dressed)? Is it strictly a Northeast thing?

Goodguy 12-18-2003 09:06 PM

RE: How many of you weigh your deer?

In a northern Ontario town where I lived for 9 years the local sporting goods store sponsored a big buck contest every year. The criterea was strictly weight. Horns weren't a factor. gg

Split-Hoof 12-18-2003 09:10 PM

GG.....same goes for around here. Many local stores sponsor big buck contests based on weight, with a good chunk of money going to the heaviest buck.

slatecall 12-18-2003 09:17 PM

We do here on my ranch in Texas. I do a management program so we age, wiegh, and score every deer.

timbercruiser 12-18-2003 09:47 PM

We have weighed all of them for about 5 years, all live weight.

Rickmur 12-19-2003 03:06 AM

In Md when you check the deer in at the checking station it is automaticly weighed, doe or buck unless the operator of the station is too busy to come outside to do so.

Brampton Mike 12-19-2003 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

We have weighed all of them for about 5 years, all live weight.

So tell me Timbercruiser...how do you get a 'live' weight....do the deer just stand on the scales for you????:D:D:D Sorry, I couldn't resist that.....well in 30+ years of deer hunting we've never weighed our deer but the last few years has gottn me curious & i've asked Mrs. Santa for a set of deer scales for Xmas!!!!!!!! ;) Brampton Mike [8D]

trailer 12-19-2003 05:40 AM

In all the years of deer hunting, I have never weighed my deer

MinnesotaDeerHunter 12-19-2003 05:46 AM

up in minnesota we like the weight in are trophys its important, yea and i agree you cant eat the horns

WV Hunter 12-19-2003 06:12 AM

We weigh about 2/3 of our deer I would guess. It's mainly out of curiosity. Our deer aren't big...avg about 80-120lbs (field dressed). Occasionally we get some higher or lower. Some of our check in stations weigh deer, but it's not a law so not very many do anymore.

One thing I have found (at least in our area), the folks that don't weigh their deer always kill really heavy deer. ;) That $30 scale will humble you real quick.