Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to make blood trail

Old 12-18-2003, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How to make blood trail

TRUE!
Old 12-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

mdbohuntr...that's just disgusting!!!! I don't think that my wife would even let me grab her used pads to take out. Plus, do you really think that you could squeeze the pads to get the blood out???? If so, she must be a "heavy" producer! I feel sorry for you!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:07 AM

NEB,
Here's a little explanation: The pad is dragged by a string to leave a scent trail. Deer's noses are at least 10,000 times more sensitive than yours. (or a dog's). A rutting buck can smell the estrus scent quite easily, and he will follow that scent hoping to find a estrus doe at the end of the trail. Years ago a lady that lived near us entered a stallion's corrall to feed him, not realizing that he could sense that it was her period. The Stallion attacked her, putting her in the hospital. Same with the buck. He uses his nose, to follow that trail, not his eyes. Some of the lady hunters on this site have tried this with mixed results.

Russ
Old 12-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Disgusting as it is many a hunter swear by it. I am not one of them .
Old 12-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Actually I have heard that animals will react differently when a woman has her period, but didn't quite realize that people actually drag the pad along behind them. Seems weird, but then again, lots of things are weird when it comes to hunting. Some of the most extreme ideas work while the most conventional ideas do not. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:41 PM

I guess I need to be more specific next time. LOL I was talking about my sons. Since there isn't a butcher shop within 100 miles I'll try the corn syrup.

Thanks again for the input.

Happy hunting.

JH
Old 12-18-2003, 05:26 PM

i think ill pass on the pad thing , lol[X(]
Old 12-19-2003, 02:55 AM

How about mixing up some blood meal from your local garden dept.
I use it when chumming for shark
Use your wifes used pads
Thats just nasty,I dont even want to see the damn wrappers in the trash,much less drag a loaded one in the woods with me.
No,No,No hun dont throw that out ...I want to teach the boys something.Do you got any more?
That would go over well.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:40 PM

I USE MILK AND RED FOOD COLORING MIX WORKS GREAT. GIVE IT A TRY.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would try a non game animal. Maybe shooting ferral hogs, fallow deer, coyotes or something there is no closed season. Time at the range and instruction in the anatomy of a deer from different angles would be more productive.

Quick Reply: How to make blood trail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.