Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Reality Check Time..No Record! >

Reality Check Time..No Record!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Reality Check Time..No Record!

Old 12-17-2003, 05:19 AM
Banned

Default Reality Check Time..No Record!

Past few days everyone's been ballyhooing about this "new WR deer in velvet". Seeing as how neither B&C nor P&Y have record categories for velvet this obviously cannot be true. So let's take a look at it from another perspective and see what we have shall we?

I'll try and put this another way so you people can see the reality of this. I'll give you an example of what's going on here. Johhny B just shot a really nice 6 pointer, I mean it's a beauty. Seriously. The G1's are at least 10" long and the G2's are even more impressive coming in at about 14 iches. The rack has great mass and with an inside spread of 23" and main beams of equally amazing proportions. What makes this rack even more impressive is the fact that Johhny B took this buck during the early archery season so the buck still has it's velvet on. We've done some prelimanary scoring and the buck easily makes P&Y. What's even more amazing is after doing our research we have discovered that this deer is a new WR 6 point in velvet.

Ok, are you starting to get the gist of this? Even if it is the largest 6 point in velvet ever taken (and the score would not even be considered official by P & Y with the velvet on it..that's why they have the asterisk beside them.) who cares? It would probably be ranked about 15,894 , if it made the book at all, and scaling the velvet off of it would redce the score even further. . The same cam be said for that buck everyones saying "OOOOOO....a new world record deer in velvet, scoring in at 214". Do you see the problem here? The deer is a non-typical AND ONLY GROSS SCORES 214. Big deal. Oh and for the record folks, that's not a net score it's a gross score, without the 60 day drying period and with velvet on. At 214 this buck doesn't even rank in the top 1000 for non-typicals. Take that velvet off, and you're probably looking at a deer that may not even qualify for B&C after deductions are taken into account.

So call it whatever you want. Fact of the matter is it's not that impressive. Oh and one more little tidbit for you. This is old news. It happened way back in September and has subsequently been re-scored......194 as a non-typical. THIS IS THE NET SCORE. In other words the deer only makes the book by 4 inches. That's some record....NOT!!!!!! Later.

Oh and one more thing of interest should be noted here. Jim was shooting a bow with 75% let off at the time. Take a look at the photo guys. Course I believe P & Y is changing the rule about that,,but I'm not sure it's retroactive.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:48 AM

Default RE: Reality Check Time..No Record!

White-Raven,

Wow!!! You gotta let that hostility go man!! It's X-mas. I for one wouldn't enter any bucks into the books unless it's a record and I could make some cash. Kind of sad to think you can make money off of public property once you shoot it, but you can. It's just not really that important for me to have my name in the records. I think that buck is awesome. Many, many guys go a lifetime not even seeing a deer like that much less shoot one. If you really want to get technical about it....why is P&Y changing their rules about the 65% letoff thing?? Cause it's all about the cash. They are losing members because more and more guys are shooting bows with more letoff. That equals less cash for P&Y. Records are fine for research and record keeping and are cool cause you can see pics of big deer, but you can't get all that wrapped up in them. It's your name in a book....big deal. I'd like to know where you hunt where that buck isn't that impressive. I'd pack my bow up and be there in a heartbeat. What do ya say?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

The deer is a non-typical AND ONLY GROSS SCORES 214. Big deal
It might not be arecord but to me it would be a BIG DEAL. How many non-typicals have you shot that score 214?

For the last time white Raven is not a man, Geez.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:07 AM
Banned

Charlie P...2 non-typicals over 200....3 typicals over 170.....7 typicals over 140. And I've seen literally thousands of record book racks. Not while hunting though. Just through the course of my travels and meeting with people.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:11 AM

WR...even with those kills, you don't think that the buck was a monster? You only have two that score better than it. If what your saying is true.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm very impressed, seriously.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:13 AM

If I shot a buck like that with my bow....I'd be drunk for a week.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is all news to me...though I had a feeling that WR would be posting on some of these stories sooner or later...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 AM

So WR are you saying you would have passed on this buck?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:24 AM
Banned

Hey. It's a great buck. Don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to put things into perspective here.

Quick Reply: Reality Check Time..No Record!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.