Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Minnesota hits # 1 with velvet buck >

Minnesota hits # 1 with velvet buck

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Minnesota hits # 1 with velvet buck

Old 12-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Banned

Default RE: Minnesota hits # 1 with velvet buck

Sorry Folks..no record here. It's a great deer, no refuting that. One anyone would be proud of. Only problem is the deer has a NON-TYPICAL score of 214. Sorry folks. You think I enjoy doing this?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

RECORD VELVET BUCK WHITE RAVEN. READ THE FINE PRINT.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I checked the B&C website and it pictured this deer but never gave any particulars. Following that i went to the P&Y website and off course they only have a picture of the NT #1 but he is wearing no moss. Anybody have a copy of the P&Y records to see where this sucker falls in history....great deer.

Whiteraven it is all you do, so I will answer YES. To the question you already know the answer too. He also said velvet record not #1 overall...like james said read it all before you open your in the know can of worms. If you know the velvet #1 then please enlighten us all[8D]
Old 12-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow nice buck there
Old 12-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Banned

Ok, folks like try to clear up a few of these misconceptions that people have. First and foremost if the score is indeed 214 after initial measurements are confirmed the fact still remains it is a non-typical. The deer had 17 scorable points. Let's toss into the equation the fact that neither Boone & Crockett or the Pope & Young has a class for deer in velvet. Thirdly the velvet has to be removed before it is scaled officially. Fourthly, there is also a 60 day drying period. None of this takes away from the outstanding quality of this animal. Fifthly, although P&Y does NOT have a separate "class" for antlers with velvet, they accept them into the record books with velvet on. But it would not be considered any type of official world record from the P&Y club.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to make this a long debate, but here you go.

From the Minnesota Outdoor News November 28, 2003.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARGEST VELVET BUCK. Jim Kostroski, of Rochester, arrowed this 17-point buck in Olmsted County on opening day of the 2003 archery season. Official scorer Dave Boland measured the antlers at 214 nontypical, making them the largest in-velvet antlers on record with the Pope and Young Club. The largest velvet buck prior to Kostroski's deer scored 196 3/8 and was taken in 2001 by Michael McFerrin in Texas. The current state record was killed in 1992 by Gary Martin in Todd County and scored 222 5/8.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to http://www.magnumsportsx.com/static.htm

Jim Kostroski of Rochester, arrowed this 17-point velvet buck in Olmsted County on opening day of the 2003 Minnesota archery deer season. Offical scorer Dave Boland measured the antlers a 214 nontypical, making them the largest in-velvet antlers recorded with Pope and Young Club.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:02 PM

trophyhuntr:
me 2
Hey Trophyhuntr, you've used that picture in your posts so many times I'm surprised it isn't worn out yet.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

no $hit. It's not even a good pic.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Trophyhuntr, you've used that picture in your posts so many times I'm surprised it isn't worn out yet.
no $hit. It's not even a good pic.
I have to agree! It is a great looking buck but my question is why are you guilty of the ole' stretch? Between the stretch and the extreme close up pic it takes away from the deer because it gives a distorted unrealistic view of the deer. That deer probaly scores in the ball park of 140 gross but the way you have yourself so far back and the deer shoved into the camera makes it bigger than it is and it just looks unnatural. Try some field shots next time and lay off the arm stretch. JMHO

Quick Reply: Minnesota hits # 1 with velvet buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.