HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Large Bachelor Groups (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46409-large-bachelor-groups.html)

dukedieter 12-16-2003 11:02 AM

RE: Large Bachelor Groups

The 15 bucks on my property was one week before gun season opens, at high noon. Gun season opens here the third week of November. Bow season opens 4 weeks prior to that, the middle of October. All through bow season I scouted and did not see any bucks or any buck sign. Everyday I checked. Then like I said, one week before opening day gun, (which rut starts early November here) there they were all together at a 5 intersection cross roads under an oak. Actual rut here in New York State can vary. This year on top of the hill, I recorded it as November 9th , one day after the full moon. Last year I recorded rut starting November 27th. The large group in the field we saw riding 4-wheelers in the fall a few years ago was Halloween weekend. Which brings it close to Nov 1st. Again the rut season or pre-rut depending on the moon that year. That night it was pitch black at midnight, so no moon or what they call new moon. The landowners sighting's again were in the late fall because he was spotlighting for opening gun season. So I would say first or second week of November.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Is it true about the fences in PA? I only live 25 minutes from the PA border !!! Maybe I can skip across there someday.

dukedieter 12-16-2003 11:18 AM

Hey Kevin, This year I had help. I advertised in a hunting lease sight, looking for a hunting buddy. No fee's just a modest donation such a 12 pack of beer, the thanksgiving turkey, a bushel of apples, help with my food plots next year, etc..... . Hunting in the New York States Deer hunting capital. Number one county and number one town in the county. I was swamped with replies. I had 3 groups from Mass out for various seasons. Some for more than one season. I had guys fom Buffalo, NY here. And some from the state of Virginia. I received a lot of nice gifts, some in the mail yesterday infact. I met alot of expert hunters and had a lot of help from them with my deer. Some stayed in my camp and some took local motels. Maybe you can come next year.
I'm putting more food plots in this spring. You want to help?

We did put a dent in the population this year around here. But from what I hear down town, nobody else had any luck. Must be we treat them deer right !!!

rockytop 12-16-2003 11:29 AM

I see a large bachelor group every year, usually around the middle of august until the start of bow season the end of september. The group will usually have between 10 and 15 bucks from spikes to wall hangers. When they come out of the woods, it's almost always in order of size, smallest first, largest last with some discrepancies.

dukedieter 12-16-2003 12:10 PM

Interesting rocky, thank you for your reply.
I know of bachelor groups, where they run together until rut season.

Still am looking for some reply about a meeting, a one day or night meeting, to determine the dominate buck. Or a realistic expanation of why they were there grouped together in such large amounts with no does in the same field.

It was a sight I'll probably never see again. So was hoping others may have.

upstateny 12-16-2003 03:27 PM

Hey Duke,If you are looking for help with your food plots this spring I think I can get you some help. My uncle, cousin and I are looking to go downstate this year to find some land to hunt and are willing to help if you can point us in a direction of some decent land to hunt. We went to 8W this year and only shot 1 doe in 5 days. Didn't even see anything else except for at night. So maybe we can work something out. Oh by the way we are from 5A and just looking for a place to get a way for a week or so. Thanks.

upstateny

KoBear 12-16-2003 04:15 PM

i have seen something like this before. at this guys house that is friends with my father. he had 27 bucks at a feeder in his backyard. these are totally free ranging deer and under real hunting pressure. outta the 27, 4 were really big and the others were medium to small sized.

NY Bowhunter 12-16-2003 04:33 PM

I am in Steuben County in New York State. Steuben County has the largest reported deer take in the state. I am also in the town of Canisteo. The largest reported deer take town in that county. I think the figures last year was 5.8 bucks per square mile reported taken last year.
Steuben County is a hot spot. Your county was #1 in deer take last year as well as buck take. Bucks per square mile you were #3 with 5.7! Alleghany coutnty was first with 7 per square and Yates came in at 6 per square. Nonetheless I'm a good farmhand myself and always looking for a good swap hunt.

I have never seen anything like the bachelor club you're talking about. That's insane!! I do however remember seeing a picture on these boards of what looked to be like something you were talking about. Can't remember where it was, but it was remarkable. I'm in Cayuga county in NY btw.

dukedieter 12-16-2003 06:28 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I am in Steuben County in New York State. Steuben County has the largest reported deer take in the state. I am also in the town of Canisteo. The largest reported deer take town in that county. I think the figures last year was 5.8 bucks per square mile reported taken last year.

Steuben County is a hot spot. Your county was #1 in deer take last year as well as buck take. Bucks per square mile you were #3 with 5.7! Alleghany coutnty was first with 7 per square and Yates came in at 6 per square.
Nonetheless I'm a good farmhand myself and always looking for a good swap hunt.

I can't find Cayuga County listed either. Is that in New York State? Just kidding.

Happy Hunting.

dukedieter 12-16-2003 06:41 PM

Here's from the New York State DEC 2002 report on their web site. They failed to mention Yates County in the top five. I would write them and have that corrected.

In New York State, Steuben County had the highest deer take in 2002, with 23,002 deer, including 8,176 bucks harvested. Allegany County was second, with 20,873 deer, including 7,292 bucks, followed by Cattaraugus County, with 19,788 deer, including 7,001 bucks. Chautauqua County, with harvests of 13,034 deer, including 4,546 bucks, and St. Lawrence County with 11,623 deer, including 5,664 bucks, rounded out the top five counties in the State.

Solax 12-17-2003 08:12 AM

Sounds awesome!!!! I've never seen anything like it but has anyone ever seen that video footage on the Outdoor Channel. I can't remember whether it was a commercial or the intro to a show but it's video footage of about 40 bucks running by and a lot of them have HUGE racks. But they just keep coming out of the woods and runnign by. Come to think of it I think it's a commercial for a supplement or something. Lots of bucks though.