Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tasty treats

Old 12-17-2003, 08:18 AM

Default RE: Tasty treats

Your Sick Champ. [:'(]
Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 AM

Nah, im in pretty good shape. I was sick about two weeks ago.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 AM

Hey Champ,you a closet Vampire or what.[&:]

Joe
Old 12-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well some of these recipes sound good, but I think I will skip champs milkshakes![X(]
Old 12-17-2003, 11:18 AM

believe it or not, me and my friends drip the deer blood in the blender and make milkshakes using that and ice cream. You wouldent think it would be so tasty

FAKE!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

GT, sounds good but one question why olive oil in the merinade??? I have used olive oil in a merinade for fowl and the barbie...but never a skillet style receipe! I am curious what you found the olive oil did in your receipe, seal it, keep it moist, etc. Very interesting.

Groundhunter that is a great idea I have done it for fish & fowl but never straps.

I have posted my simple bstraps receipe before but here we go again.

Backstraps cut into 3/4-1" medallions (trimmed of course)
Place a sliver of garlic in a slit in each medallion
Season to liking(Garlic, seasoning salt, cajun spice or montreal steak spice)
Wrap in bacon and skewer -2-3 per depending on the skewer size(Skewer just hold the bacon on the edges of the meat)
Off to the barbie and cook rare-med rare.

This receipe will let you even cook the meat to med-well and still be juicy full of flavour for the ones who don't like blood on the plate[]! If you choose a merinade of beer or merlot red wine can be added with your favorite spices. Simple and delish!!! The bacon will let the Q flare up but prevent burning of the straps, it gives it a smoke, bbq flavor not a bacon greasy flavour.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:08 PM

Skeeter. . .Olive oil I think gets hotter before you get it smokin and has what I think is a good flavor. Wadaya think?
Old 12-17-2003, 02:31 PM

This is a fav of mine from The Texas Gormet http://www.thetexasgourmet.com/. When it calls for milk use buttermilk.

Ingredients:

2-3 lbs. venison meat (top round or backstrap)
3 eggs- beaten well
3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. black pepper

Preparation:

Slice meat into 3/8 inch thick slices. Place slices one at a time on a cutting board, and lightly pound with stipple faced tenderizing mallet to 1/4 inch thick.

Mix together the flour, bread crumbs, garlic salt, and pepper in a large bowl or in a large ziploc bag. In a separate bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, and the milk.

Dip the tenderized cutlets into the egg/milk mix, one at a time, then dredge through the flour breadcrumb mixture, coating well. Arrange 3-4 cutlets in approximately 1/4 to 3/8 inch hot vegetable oil in a cast iron or heavy non stick skillet. Cook until golden brown and crispy on both sides(about 2-3 minutes per side.) Remove and drain over paper towels.

Gravy:

3/4 cup milk
2 T flour
2 T reserved oil
2 T salted butter
Salt and Pepper

Serving:

Remove pan from heat after frying all cutlets. Pour off all oil except for approximately 2 Tablespoons. Add butter on medium low heat to pan. Scrape bottom of pan to release drippings. Add 2 T flour, and stir until smooth. Slowly add milk, stirring while adding until all milk is in the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve hot with cutlets and biscuits or Texas Toast.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

I think that the Champ was sick two weeks ago because of his blood milkshakes. Makes me want to puke every time I read this thread. Sorry Man, but it does.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

GT I agree 100% on the smoke less and flavor olive oil gives for cooking in a skillet and wild game. I just never thought of merinating it in olive oil, I was intereted on why or how you came up with the idea. I will have to give it try this year for sure....thanks for posting your receipe.

Quick Reply: Tasty treats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.