HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46216-life-death-woods-would-you-know-what-do.html)

outdoor338 12-14-2003 04:10 PM

Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

I heard a story a while back and it made me think would you know what to do! This friend of mine was standing at an area that he was to meet 3 guys that were to go deer hunting with him, this was an area that several people parked their cars and walked into the public hunting area to deer hunt. There were two older guys standing by their car when one of the guys collapsed, my friend went over and had no clue what to do! How many of you would be able to help? How many of you know how to perform CPR, if they had to, and is it important to know CPR, and hunt in the woods? Any personal stories to share about using CPR in the woods, or not knowing what to do.

Dr. Mike

TSR6 12-14-2003 04:15 PM

RE: Life or death in the woods, would you know what to do?

I have been trained on CPR twice in my life. Once for health class in grade school, then again in a Health class in High School.

We actually recieved first aid and CPR cards from the red cross from the health class in High school.

I hope to never use it though.... :-/

I do feel it is something important to know though. It would be hard to think back and say "I should have known what to do"...

Tree climber 12-14-2003 05:43 PM

at work we have all been trained in cpr and first aid.we get a refesher about ever 3 years to keep us up on everything.

Hope I never have to use it ; but if I do ,I think I can.

KoBear 12-14-2003 05:43 PM

i have learned it twice. once in grade school and once in the scouts. i hope never to have to use it

James B 12-14-2003 06:12 PM

I learned it in the Navy and again when I worked for a general contractor. Its good to know. Many things can happen when you head into the woods to hunt. Not all of these things are good. In the north cold weather survival and a good survival kit are very important. I keep one in my jeep and a small pack to carry if I have to try to walk out. I was lost in the woods once overnight and its not a good feeling. You absolutely must be able to start a fire. I carry several different means to do just that.

huntnma 12-14-2003 06:15 PM

i learned it the first time in jr.high, then again last year..it changed on me.....good thing i went again, everyone should know it...

stuckinthereeds 12-14-2003 06:42 PM

I know I am certified for first aid, but under the stress and emergency I don't konw if I would do it right

Gary10ec1 12-14-2003 07:57 PM

Well I work in medicine and am ACLS certified so Dr Mike I guess we don't count. But one word of advice if someone were to collapse doing nothing even if you are unsure what to do never saved anyone. Remember the ABCs Airway Breathing Circulation. If someone did collapse and you can't feel a pulse and they are not breathing begin CPR asap and don't stop till you are relieved by someone else or a paramedic. Their chances are already slim and you are their only shot. You are not going to hurt them by trying to save a life and you darn sure wouldn't want to live with yourself after doing nothing. I hope this thread inspires folks to do a little review or consider a CPR course cause you never know!! Hunt safe hunt hard--------Gary

Tyler05 12-14-2003 08:28 PM

I am a Lifeguard in the summer so I am trained in CPR and First Aid....I really hope i never have to use it though.....