Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 SPOT LIGHTING- it's a dang shame >

SPOT LIGHTING- it's a dang shame

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SPOT LIGHTING- it's a dang shame

Old 12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Spike

I learned the hard way that it is illegal to do this in WV from a vehicle. We were going past my grandfather's farm where I hunted and past my buddy's farm, videoing the deer at night. The lights came on behind us and it was the game warden. We were put out on front of the vehicle with our hands on the hood while he called a cop for backup and thoroughly searched my truck and questioned each of us separately. I think he had a hard time believing that we weren't actually trying to kill anything. Apparently someone had been shooting deer at night and one of the neighbors had called him on it a few days prior. We ended up getting fined $361 each. It was a perfect example that ignorance of the law is no excuse. I can't blame him for dong his job, but that really put me in a bummed out mood the rest of that season.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

It is LEGAL to spotlight or "shine" here in Wisconsin, but you cannot have any weapons or ammo in your vehicle. Also, you must stop by 10 pm.

My favorite memories as a young kid, was going out after dinner in the fall and seeing what bucks were in the area.

Its too bad that some states don't allow it, but if they have a big problem with poaching, then it probably won't work.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

It is illegal now to shine in Florida with or without a gun. Which in my opinion is a good thing. There is alot of deer hunting with hounds done in Florida.

I remember when I was a kid about 40 years there was a club that would shot the nicest bucks. We were just dumbfounded how the hec they managed to kill such nice bucks all the time. One night when I was visiting their camp they all piled into the back of a pickup and off they went shining. I went along for the ride. We spotted a real nice 9 pointer. The next day that buck was hanging on their meat pole.

I quickly figured out that they were shining to find a buck then in the morning they would put their hounds on the bucks fresh tracks sorround the block and shot the deer. I am sure it was not a guaranteed kill, but in my opinion it was not fair.

I told my grandpa about it. And he shrugged his shoulders. He told me, son we are here to hunt not kill. That stuck with me to this day.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

It is still legal to spot in Pa., but a lot of restrictions were added to it over the years. Read the book before you go. It was fun when we all had more time. We would hit big farms in the mountain valleys and there were a lot of cars out doing it. It is a shame that it gets abused so much. One night my brother-in-law had this really powerful spotlight and we were looking at some deer way back in a field along a woods. We spotted a whopper and as soon as the light hit the deer it turned for the woods and knocked over a deer right behind it. You know he was shot at with a light. I used to work nights in Bucks county (Pretty populated/BIG deer) and you could tell where they were jack lighting deer. If you saw deer in a field with your head lights and slowed down the deer would take off as if they were shot at (Because they had been). I don't remember who posted it, but they are right about car kills being mistaken for poaching. I know guys that only take the hind quarters if a deer gets hit in front of them. I take a fresh one too, but take the whole thing out of there.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just get a good pair of bino's and use a clear night or use the light behind the deer. If you walk up to them with the wind in your face and the back drop behind you dark they won't know what you are. If your lucky they'll do there I'm bad, better back off dance. It's a rush.

Killing deer in the dark is for sissy's anyways. Might as well tie them to a stake and "hunt" them. The reason this country almost wiped out the deer was from night time hunting. Give them animals half a chance.

I guess trail cams are also illegal, or shouldn't I mention that.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Spike

SC regs-

Shining
In all game zones, the use of artificial lights for the purpose of observing or harassing wildlife is unlawful, except that a property owner, lessee, or person with written permission from the property owner may use artificial lights to observe wildlife prior to 11:00 PM This section does not prohibit an owner of real property from using artificial lights for the purpose of protecting the property.

If you do not own or lease property you can not shine deer in SC.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

it's still legal in florida. it helps locate and pattern bucks in the ag fields almost as good as a game camera. absolutely no guns allowed in the truck. got checked sunday night by a game warden outside our club. they aggressively pursue lights at night to make sure no guns are around. but in alabama it's totally against the law and any law enforcement officer can arrest you not just the game wardens.............tony

Last edited by hycohounds; 12-21-2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

There is bad problem down here in bama and I guess in the rest of the country with spotlighting. I survey my fields at night with a spotligh no firearm, but in bama there is no tolerance for spotlighting and comes with a steep fine and sometimes jailtime.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Spike

<flamesuit>

I am a hunting noob, so please be gentle.

WHY is it wrong to shine and hunt? If there are bag limits on deer, you can only shoot x number per season?

Wouldn't things like shining and laser range finding, etc all help the hunter to get a good, clean kill shot?

Isn't the goal of the DNR to manage the size of the herd? Why would they want to make rules that make it easier to injure an animal rather than kill it?

I have no intention of breaking these rules. However, I will feel better about it if I understand WHY.

</flamesuit>
Old 12-31-2011, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2twisty
<flamesuit>

I am a hunting noob, so please be gentle.

WHY is it wrong to shine and hunt? If there are bag limits on deer, you can only shoot x number per season?

Wouldn't things like shining and laser range finding, etc all help the hunter to get a good, clean kill shot?

Isn't the goal of the DNR to manage the size of the herd? Why would they want to make rules that make it easier to injure an animal rather than kill it?

I have no intention of breaking these rules. However, I will feel better about it if I understand WHY.

</flamesuit>
you cant hunt at night, so thats why. it gives the animals a chance, if you will, to have a break(im just guessing here) from hunters. called fair chase. you do have a valid point, if yer allowed 2, whats it matter when ya get em.....but....it isnt hunting.

Quick Reply: SPOT LIGHTING- it's a dang shame

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.