Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures? >

What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

Old 12-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

I have some insulated hunting boots, but my toes still get cold when it goes below 30 degrees. I was hopiing someone makes a pair that keeps your feet warm even if it dips into the teens. Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to throw a chemical pack in each boot every time I go out in rather normal temperatures for the WV mountains I hunt.

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

You can get boots with 1600 grams of thinsulate for insulation by a variety of boot makers:Rocky, Irish Setter, cabelas & so on. I personally wear Irish Setters now(but have used Rocky, Danner, Columbia, etc in the past) mine are 800 grams of thinsulate, gortex booty, rubber bottom and leather/cudora uppers. I wear them during hunting, ice fishing and all other winter sports where the temp can get -40 c up here. I couple my boots with a polyproplene sock(moisture wicking) and good wools over top. Make sure you have room to wiggle your toes with the heavier socks on, obviously not to loose due to needing to walk comfortably. If your feet sweat IME it is better to buy a boot with less insulation and change your socks appropriately. However if this is not the case for you you could look to the 1000+ boots.

Boot blankets would be another solution to look into for sitting.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go to your local army surplus store and pick up a pair of mickey mouse boots. Your feet will never be cold again. You can pick them up for $65 and I guarentee you they will keep your feet warm.

I've been out on the ice on days that it was -30 far. for 10 hours and my feet stayed warm.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Spray your feet with anti perspirant deodorant before you put your socks on to keep them from sweating.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Go to your local army surplus store and pick up a pair of mickey mouse boots. Your feet will never be cold again. You can pick them up for $65 and I guarentee you they will keep your feet warm.

I've been out on the ice on days that it was -30 far. for 10 hours and my feet stayed warm.
What are Mickey Mouse boots?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:44 PM

Mickey Mouse boots are boots with an oversized toe area, giving more room for the toes, and more room for socks. If yu ever see an old Mickey mouse cartoon, you'll know.
I once had a Scout troop in Northern Illinois and we used to camp out all winter. A number of the boys didn't come from affluent families. I had them get oversized overshoes, (the 4-5 buckle type). Then had them layer socks until they had a good fit. Those kids were out in the snow and cold all day and not one case of cold feet. The biggest thing is, Don't get boots that are too snug, go oversize. Your feet need the breathing room. Stylish boots are not for the woods.

Russ
Old 12-13-2003, 08:07 PM

In my experience ive had better luck with rubber boots keeping my feet warm better than leather, The toe room thing is right, IF you can move your toes aroudn they will stay warmer a lot longer. I hunted last year in 10 degree weather with my uninsulated lacrosse boots and a coupel pair of wools socks, they keep my feet moderately warm, they were cold but warm enough to stay on stand, lol my buddy was huntin beside of me and his boots froze to the stand.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:37 PM

Just got a pair of Field and Stream 1000 gram rubber boots at Dicks Sporting. They are maybe just a tad heavy but as warm as they are it is worth it. I don't know about anyone else but I am done with Rockys. Everyone told me what a good boot they were but if I get in anything worse than wet grass my feet get wet. They are warm if it is dry but it ain't dry very often. (By the way, I tried 2 pair of the Rockys)
Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much weight can you handle? Good pair polar boots rated for minus 150 degrees can weigh anywhere from 3 to 7 lbs a pair and are very pricey.
One of these days I'm going to be able to afford a pair of those so I won't have to hunt in the snow barefoot anymore, Bobby
Old 12-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Rocky mountain books 600-800 thinsultate with gortex socks! works a charm... promise. In north idaho we always experience weather in the teens.

Quick Reply: What's a good hunting boot for cold temperatures?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.