HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   last day hunting advice??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46078-last-day-hunting-advice.html)

thelastboyscout 12-12-2003 08:41 PM

last day hunting advice???

it's the last day of deer season here in PA.

here's the weather conditions
it's been snowing all day (heavy at times)
snow showers throughout the night w/ winds 5-10 mph
tomarrow morning calls for scattered snow showers tomarrow morning w/ winds light and variable. 26 degrees is the high for tomarrow and will only be in the low teens at dawn.

the woods i am hunting has a variety of habitat. it's on the side of a somewhat steep and high mountain. there is a pipeline that runs down the middle of the mountain with completely different terrain on each side. one side is thick and overgrown with many deer paths trailing through it. i have found tons of beds in this area. if you walk the opposite direction of the pipeline past these thickets, there is a logging area with fresh downed tree tops. on the other side of the pipeline is open woods leading to a large field surrounded by woods. all across the bottom of the mountain runs a creek that has pines running about 50 to 75 yards in width on either side. there are small cricks running down the mountain into the larger creek that the deer seem to be using as funnels....the only problem is there are about 30 of these things and they all have about an equal amount of tracks and rubs. my wife got a 6 point down in the pines by the creek the first day. based on the weather conditions and the type of terrain and food plots that i've explained, where which part would you set up on??

thundermug 12-14-2003 07:57 AM

RE: last day hunting advice???

It may be to late but oh well, here goes anyway.

I believe no deer uses the same trail twice in a row, he varies his movements. so anyone of the trails could be productive, yet any trail might not get used that day. I would choose a spot that narrows down to a funnel to get the deer to use as few trails as possible. Then I would try to setup where I could see as many of those trails as possible.

nubo 12-14-2003 09:19 AM

From my own experience I f it's snowing and gusting wind's I would definetly be hunting the closed cover.If there's snow consistant then most deer like to bed, but doesn't matter how much it snow's there will be some deer out and about .The closed cover of bedding area's and creek bed's give's them enough shelter that some deer will move around in . I have also seen a Doe and 2 fawn's out in the middle of a field in a snowstorm with heavy gusting wind's that you could barely see them at 30yrds at times, so get out there but closed cover is the best place to be when it's snowing and wind's are gusting .
Let me know how you make out.

nubo

thelastboyscout 12-14-2003 09:50 AM

first time in a long time that i haven't shot a deer during the rifle season. kicked a small herd out of their beds first thing in the morning......they were laying 50 yards off the road. there was no wind what so ever so it made it next to impossible to track them down for a "sneak" attack. walked and sat most of the day until about 3. then i sat where i thought they might come by but never they never did. oh well my wife got her first deer ever this year which was a pretty nice 6 point.....that made my season.