HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   [Deleted] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/46068-deleted.html)

Deleted User 12-12-2003 06:32 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old Faithful 12-12-2003 06:41 PM

RE: i think i shot a a really nice one....need some input

A 12 gauge slug at 50 yards in the chest? If you hit him like you think, he didn't go far at all. Give him all night and get in there early in the morning and track him slowly. You might wanna listen out for coyotes if you got many. Good Luck. We want pictures.

DougMD 12-12-2003 07:35 PM

For God's sake, keep us informed and good luck. I can't imagine him not being killed by that shot if it was true. Be sure to post pictures if you get him. Good luck!

mauser06 12-12-2003 07:43 PM

if you hit him where you shot it wouldnt surprise me if he went a little farther then you think and no blood....my dad shot a doe that way only on the ground and at a bit of an angle....a lung, liver and all the guts were hit.....from a 3006 at 20yds with a ballistic tip.....it went about 80yds.....not a drop of blood.....the deer didnt act hit either....my dad thought he hit it so followed the leaves it kicked up and found it......dang good tracking job......if the leaves wernt wet i dont think he would found it.....its really thick in there and he couldnt see it after the shot....but thankfully the leaves were wet and kicked up nicely.....only sign of a hit was hair from the shot....if you hit him check good and hard.....he shouldnt went too far......a 12ga slug had to tear him up good......just look very very hard.......goto where you hear him last and keep going in that direction and other likely directions....he should be close......good luck.......keep us posted!!!!i cant stand wehn people ask for tracking advice and leave us hanging!!!! good luck!!!

KoBear 12-12-2003 08:13 PM

look hard. and get friends to help. if i knew where u were i would offer to help, but from your story it sounds like you might be in jersey. we had some snow and then a bunch of rain took it away. good luck. keep us posted.

royak 12-12-2003 09:01 PM

As said keep us up to date and I sure hope you find it.

thelastboyscout 12-12-2003 09:22 PM

i did that before only with a 6 shot 3" mag and it was a coyote (which coyotes are hard to spot around here) i called him in during fall turkey season. i shot him at about 25 yards in the throat and he spun around a cupple of times and took off. there was blood on the ground where i hit him but i circled and circled and found no blood or no coyote. so i went on back to hunting turkeys. when it was finally time to quit, i damn near tripped over him on my way back to the truck. he was about 1/2 mile from where i shot him deader than a doornail. what's so funny is, that's not the direction he ran after i shot him. i found him by complete accident!!!

rcw280 12-12-2003 09:31 PM

another thing to possibly look for after a day is for crows to be circling they can find anything anywhere that has died. good luck

thelastboyscout 12-12-2003 10:40 PM

good point rcw

also hawks and turkey vultures

skeeter 7MM 12-12-2003 11:47 PM

Wish you the best and yes keep us posted.

A chest on shot can leave very little blood on the ground and often the bullet may not even exit making things worse. I just say this so your not alarmed if you find a meager blood trail. The good news is you heard him flle and what appeared to be him crashing...more than likely your right on the money and he is where the last noise cam from. Be out at sun up, while the scavangers is a great idea birds such as crows, raven will not be on the carcass until sun up but will roost near the fresh kill site and often will lead right to the spot. I hope you either marked the area or have good recall, in any event go to the stand and if you have buddies have them stand at the shot site, replay the entire events and then begin the process. When your dealing with minimal sign, poor tracking weather, not fresh in your mind(next day, later, etc.) or a disturbed area it is best to do it methodically, slow and easy will get the deer. I would concentrate on the last sound and more than likely the thickest stuff close to that area...a grid search is always a good bet. Also make sure to have a roll of trail marker and mark the sign as you find it...one can often go off on the wrong path...this will help at a glance to get back to where you last confirmed he was. If you got a buddy have them stand at the last sign until the next sign and so on. Just don't all go tramping in different directions until you have absolutely nothing. Don't overlook the fact he may have doubled or circled back, so if you think hey wait a minute I am going back to my start point...keep on the sign and let it lead you to your deer.

Best of luck!