HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Poll on hunting in high fences. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45928-poll-hunting-high-fences.html)

buckeye 12-11-2003 12:40 PM

Poll on hunting in high fences.

Would you or have you hunted in high fenced enclosers? Or are you strictly a fair chase hunter?

I for one would not hunt in enclosed areas.

I would just like to see where everyone stands on this issue.

Deleted User 12-11-2003 12:53 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

trophyhuntr 12-11-2003 12:53 PM

RE: Poll on hunting in high fences.

Good post

When you talk about high fence, make sure you know all the facts and the sizes of the areas under high fence. Many ranches do this for the sole reason of the money and effort they have in these deer. There are some places that have 100 acres under high fence i wouldn't hunt. Just got back from Texas and they have 6400 acres under high fence and alot of 170 class and up bucks on game cameras but we never saw any of them. We are talking about miles to range and these guys feed a very expensive protein feed while bucks are in velvet. I dont blame them for high fencing because if he was to cross the fence and was a 140 class deer then you know what will happen. Depends on size of ranch under fence, dont think a deer is penned up just because he is behind a high fence. Like i said this ranch is 6400 acres, many mile to hide trust me from first hand knowledge

Aught Six 12-11-2003 03:21 PM

I would not hunt in a high-fence enclosure under any circumstances. It doesn't seem natural to me, regardless of the size of a deer's home range. Besides, there are plenty of places in North America to choose from without going to a ranch.

NY Bowhunter 12-11-2003 03:44 PM

I don't care if the fenced are was 100,000 acres. I'm not hunting it and I don't think it can be considered fair chase. There's a fence out there.

Most deer have a home range of 400-600 acres.
who's to say where that stops and ends?

Do you hunt only in the middle of these ranches to give the deer as much room to roam as possible? Who's to say you can't hunt 100 yards from the fence? Doesn't seem right to me.

Depends on size of ranch under fence, dont think a deer is penned up just because he is behind a high fence. Like i said this ranch is 6400 acres, many mile to hide trust me from first hand knowledge
sorry trophyhunter I gotta disagree with this one of yours. It doesn't depend on the size of the pen!! The deer is penned no matter how you look at it. At some point whether he likes it or not he may not be able to go "that" way because of the fence. Just having the possibility of that happening makes them penned. Lots of hiding places yes unlimited no. JMO

OregunHntr 12-11-2003 03:50 PM

I agree, No matter how many acres it is, it's still fenced. And IMO is not
fair chase.

Goldenhawk 12-11-2003 03:59 PM

I would never hunt in a fenced in Area even if it was free. I only hunt Free ranging animals!!!
I see people show me there pictures of there game and I just shake my head because even if there is 4000 acres that animal is still stuck in that area and will never leave.[&o]

tabby 12-11-2003 04:03 PM

I will never pay a guide/outfitter to hunt. Therefore, I will probably not hunt a high fence. I dissagree with them. Doesn't matter how big the enclosed area is, there will always be a deer trail along side the fence.

Goldenhawk 12-11-2003 04:05 PM

Well Tabby on the guide I would still get one I hunted in Canada Bear hunting and you have to have a guide to hunt in some areas all they do is show you where to hunt and take you to baits but its a fair chase hunt.

KoBear 12-11-2003 04:32 PM

under NO circumstance would i ever hunt a penned deer