Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 12-15-2003, 09:03 AM

Default RE: CWD Map

Madcow do you hold a elected office, if you don't run for something so I can vote for you. WOW
Old 12-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

First time I have seen a book posted.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:56 AM

First time I have seen a book posted.
you better read it!

to quote John Stewart from the "Daily Show on Comedy Central" and say.............

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????"

laugh now, but if you folks don't get serious now, you will be laughing all
the way to the Pyre piles of burning deer and elk in years to come, and
your sport of hunting will be dead. you will all then be forced to decide
whether incineration is the way to go, or another potential alternative is
alkaline hydrolysis. either way, you will not like scenerio. it is not pretty.

i am only the messenger...don't shoot me///

- Opinion on Chronic Wasting Disease and tissues that might carry a risk for human and animal feed chains (Scientific Steering Committee Meeting of 6 – 7 March 2003)

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
HEALTH & CONSUMER PROTECTION DIRECTORATE-GENERAL
Scientific Steering Committee
Opinion on
Chronic Wasting Disease
and tissues that might carry a risk
for human and animal feed chains
SCIENTIFIC STEERING COMMITTEE
MEETING OF 6 – 7 MARCH 2003
MANDATE
The TSE/BSE ad hoc Group was invited to prepare a scientific report to serve as the basis
for addressing the following questions about chronic wasting disease (CWD):
1. Do there exist scientific bases to exclude certain tissues from animals that carry a
CWD risk from the human food and animal feed chain? If so, which tissues could
pose a risk? Is there a basis for defining SRM?
2. Is there a reason for concern that imports from countries where CWD has been
observed pose a risk to animal and/or consumer health in Europe? If yes, what
measures are likely to be proposed?
3. Is CWD also occurring elsewhere, e.g. Europe?
OPINION
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy
(TSE) of certain species of native North American deer: mule deer (Odocoileus
hemionus) and white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) and Rocky Mountain elk
(Cervus elaphus nelsoni). A number of States/Provinces in the USA/Canada (North
America, NA) have reported cases in free-ranging and farmed cervids. There are no
reports of CWD in areas outside NA with the exception of a single animal imported into
Korea from Canada.
The natural host range of CWD has so far remained confined to cervids. On-going
experimental transmission studies have still not been able to show transmission of CWD
from deer to cattle. Additionally, genetic studies show a relatively large phylogenetic
difference in PrP sequence between Cervidae, Bovidae and Humans. Those differences
suggest an appreciable species barrier for possible transmission of CWD to cattle and
humans. However, since the basis of the transmission barrier in relation to the TSE is
complex and not solely a function of PrP sequence of donor and recipient it remains
theoretically possible that the CWD-agent could infect humans. Infected animals have a
widespread tissue distribution of disease-specific PrP and presumably also infectivity in
those tissues from an early stage in the incubation period.
Epidemiological data have shown that CWD is readily spread by lateral
transmission in cervid populations. In experimental studies, oral exposure to only very
small doses of infective material resulted in disease in cervid animals.
Surveillance data do not as yet provide information on accurate figures of the
prevalence of the disease in NA and the risk factors are not well understood. Some
control measures for farmed deer are in place. However, movement of free-ranging deer
provides a major difficulty for control strategies. The origin of the disease is unknown
and the lack of any connection with other animal TSEs provides no clues as to the
potential for CWD to be pathogenic for man.
Available information indicates that there is only negligible trade in live cervids
originating in NA to EU but there are indications of imports of small annual tonnage of
edible products from game. It is unclear what, if any, trade exists in antler, embryos or
semen from cervids between NA and EU countries.
Research and surveillance programs on CWD in farmed or wild Cervidae in Europe
did not exist until recently and thus the available data do not allow to draw conclusions
about CWD in the Cervidae population in Europe.
CONCLUSIONS
With regard to the initial question of the mandate, a theoretical risk for prion
transmission to humans consuming products of CWD affected-cervids of all ages in
countries where CWD exists cannot be excluded. Similarly, transmission risk of prions to
domestic animals cannot be excluded. There is therefore a scientific basis on which to
exclude tissues from animals that carry a CWD risk, from human or animal feed chains.
However, the early and widespread involvement of tissues in CWD infected animals
does not allow to define a SRM list, neither to define any lower age cut off as has been
defined for cattle in relation to BSE. Neither is there sufficient knowledge to define
exclusions or amendment of any SRM rule on the basis of relative genetic resistance to
infection as has been proposed for sheep and goats in the event that evidence would
indicate the probable natural occurrence of BSE in these species 1.
Although available information indicates imports of live Cervidae from NA to EU
and trade in meat products from cervid species as being negligible, it is important to
reach certainty that no transfer of risk takes place through trade of live cervids and its
derived products.
At present, there are no scientific data that CWD is occurring in Cervidae elsewhere
than in those countries from which it has been previously reported. However, systematic
TSE surveillance of cervid populations has either been absent or has only just started in
European countries. Until results of such surveillance become available no conclusion
can be drawn with regard to the occurrence of CWD or similar TSE in the cervid
population of Europe.
RECOMMENDATIONS
Given that the possible risks of exposure relate to the tissues of cervids from NA,
reinforced protection of the cervid population and animal and public health in Europe
could be considered.
Moreover, systematic surveillance is essential to establish the probability of
occurrence and incidence of CWD in the Cervidae populations of Europe. Because of the
complexity of conducting such surveillance on a statistical basis throughout the EU,
initial research should address the susceptibility of European cervid species to TSE’s.
Furthermore, a surveillance programme, which might initially target the examination of
cervids dying in or culled from zoological collections and fallen stock in farmed cervid
populations, prior to decisions on the screening of free-ranging cervids, is recommended.
1 Opinion on the safety of small ruminant products should BSE in small ruminants become
probable/confirmed (adopted on 18-19 October 2001).

http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/ssc/out323_en.pdf

PYRE OF DEATH

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/21.jpg

MADCOWS WAITING TO BURN

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-imag...6/deadcows.gif

PYRE FOR ELK

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...ides/cwd/2.jpg

DEER SLAUGHTER

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/14.jpg

and the reason the USA refuses to rapid BSE/TSE test cattle;

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/19.jpg

and how many *******s do we know like this, ones that spread
false information in order to protect the ones that put them in office$
This official was so sure that BSE would not transmit to man as CJD,
that he force fed his daughter a hamburger to prove his point, boy,
was he wrong. now he is forced to lie in bed everynight and wonder
if he exposed his Daughter to the agent, due to his stupidity and greed
to protect the Industry;

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/20.jpg

CWD A THREAT TO HUMANS? THE EXPERTS SPEAK OUT: "I think that if humans were very susceptible to CWD, we would know by now, since hunters have probably been consuming infected deer for some time. But if CWD is transmitted at a low rate — say 1 in 1,000 or 1 in 10,000 — we might not be able to easily see this." PATRICK BOSQUE, above, assistant neurology professor at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, appears on monitors while doing a satellite interview with Dutch TV.

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/22.jpg

preparing for the burn...

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/34.jpg

last stages of disease...

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/35.jpg

PYRE PIT OF DEATH...

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/37.jpg

and fencing is not going to stop the spread;

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...des/cwd/36.jpg

NOW, with all that said, we must not forget these new findings about
the infamous sporadic CJD, which most by now know does not happen
as spontaneously as officials would wish us to believe;

Asante/Collinge et al, that BSE transmission to the 129-methionine genotype can lead to an alternate phenotype that is indistinguishable from type 2 PrPSc, the commonest _sporadic_ CJD;

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/...3923s1_OPH.htm

you have to make your own minds up, you can take this with how ever
many grains of salt you wish, but don't be blinded by stupidity and
ego. read the data, it speaks for itself. the data does not say it does
not transmit to humans and or cattle. it says the chances are there
that indeed this may happen and or may have already happened, only
none documented to date. then, figure the fact that only 12 states make
CJD reportable, and in three studies (Duke, PA and Yale), anywhere from
3 to 13 % of humans diagnosed as Alzheimer's, after autopsy actually had
CJD. Then ask yourself, why is the threat of CWD being so mediazed,
when it has been around for 40 years? Then go look at the USA feeding
and rendering practices for USA cattle over the past 3 decades and ask
yourself why the USA refuses still in 2003, refuses to rapid TSE test
cattle in sufficient numbers to find. AS I said, a sea of politics and your
sport is nothing more than a pawn in that sea...it is merely a program trying
to be perfected before the final announcement...TSS
Old 12-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Madcow,

Your posts are so long. I know it is important info, can you break it down for us in laymens terms and give us links?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

He's an anti. Go ahead and shoot the messenger.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:39 PM

Aught Six, just because you refuse to see the forest for the trees does not mean that everyone wishes to be so blind. you remind me of someone that hunts at night, with lights, that has a case of beer on ice in the back of the truck while hunting. NO, i don't even know you, so in fact i don't know that you do this, but you damn sure do not know me, therefore you do not know what you speak of when you call me anti anything. refusing to educate yourself on something of such importance is one thing, but
what you seem to be doing is trying to refuse to allow others to educate themselves. everyone else may not want to be as ignorant as you seem to want to be. this is not meant as an insult, i know this is hard to digest, it was for me. again, i am not anti-hunter, maybe anti-game farm, but this is just my opinion, i think we are still entitled to that. game farms (as long as they are legal), needs this data as well, as do the people that hunt game farms. if you dont want to read it, if it scares you that bad,
then just don't read it, run and hide, most cowards do just that. but if ALL hunters run and hide from this agent, then you will loose your sport as you know it. this disease is not going to just run it's course on it's own, or you better hope it does not... and i cannot explain it in a simple sentence or one paragraph. it took man 40 years to get us where we are today with human/animal TSEs aka mad cow disease, how in the world does one expect someone to explain this in one paragraph. we have a pathogen here like no other. one with no _detectable_ dna to date, one that survives ashing to 600 degrees celsius, one with an incubation
period of up to 50 years with some TSEs, time will tell, but you cannot ignore this. WELL, you might Aught six, but others
may not be so blind...

keep your powder dry...300SAV
Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

hate to say it but cwd is here to stay, if its transfered from animal to animal. you can not erradicate all the deer in an area impossible. all your info sounds like you should be working for the WI dnr. there are other theories on cwd but researchers can't get grants for their studies unless its prion based. some of these seem out there alittle bit but the prion theory was also rejected once.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, we don't know each other, MADCOW. I would assume that you have some emotional problems. On the hand, I know that you've ignored the fact that no one here wants to hear your garbage. We're hunters--we know about these diseases. You're not only unwanted, but unneeded. Go spam someone who doesn't know that there's a 1-in-a-billion chance of becoming infected!
Old 12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
nub

rcw; I think even the DNR knows eradication is impossible. I believe the plan is to keep the numbers down real low in the hot zone.

Isn't there a new study that shows all deer are not susceptable to CWD? Perhaps if we keep the numbers way down for a long enough period of time, it will kill itself out.

06; Ever hear of an anti who believes that killing off mass quanities of deer is good for the herd? Didn't think so. Do you even bother to read what is posted?

I read in the State Journal today, WI. now has whats called the Portable Stomach. Its some kind large tank for dissolving this into a liquid. Cost around 900k. Suppose to allow them to dump the crap down the sewer if I remember correctly.

Ever hear of it MadCow?
Old 12-15-2003, 03:53 PM

> I would assume that you have some emotional problems.

never assume anything Aught Six, when you do, you make, ASS U ME.

i have no emotional problems either, YET ;-)

> On the hand, I know that you've ignored the fact that no one here wants to hear

> your garbage.

strange i am getting a lot of private emails from this board asking questions.
too bad people such as yourself, THINK that they speak for everyone.

> We're hunters--we know about these diseases.
> you're not only unwanted, but unneeded.
> Go spam someone who doesn't know that there's
> a 1-in-a-billion chance of becoming infected!

you don't know sh!t from shinola about human animal TSEs.
you just know what you have read in the media and what you
want to believe. i have wasted much too much time with you
Aught Six. go back to your dream world, but it is people like you
that will cause CWD to spread further, from sheer ignorance and
denial...

good luck to you other HUNTERS...

TSS

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.