HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   OHIO GUN SEASON.... PLEASE POST REPLY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45901-ohio-gun-season-please-post-reply.html)

teamster284 12-11-2003 07:28 AM

OHIO GUN SEASON.... PLEASE POST REPLY

GUN SEASON IN OHIO WAS FROM DEC. 1ST THRU DEC. 7TH. I GOT 2 DOE AND ANOTHER HUNTER WHO HUNTS THE SAME PROPERTY AS I GOT A SMALL BUCK. WE WERE NOT SEEING MUCH AND A LOT OF OTHER HUNTERS I TALKED TO DIDN'T HAVE MUCH SUCCESS EITHER. JUST WANT TO SEE IF OTHER AREAS OF THE STATE HAD BETTER SUCCESS THAN HERE IN CENTRAL OHIO. THE LAST FEW GUN SEASON HAVE BEEN A LITTLE SLOW HERE UNTIL THE LATE MUZZLE LOADER SEASON.

trophyhuntr 12-11-2003 07:30 AM

RE: OHIO GUN SEASON.... PLEASE POST REPLY

I didnt hunt ohio but did you see the moon last week, had alot to do with it trust me, didnt matter what state you hunted

buckeye 12-11-2003 08:00 AM

This is what the ODNR web site said about it. Not to bad.

SUCCESSFUL DEER-GUN SEASON
Harvest is third highest for a one-week season

COLUMBUS, OH – Ohio hunters took 116,004 deer during the state’s popular week-long deer-gun season, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

“Deer-gun season is a very enjoyable time for Ohio’s hunters. A large cross-section of people look forward to the deer season year after year. We are very happy 2003 was another good year for hunters,” said Steven A. Gray, chief of ODNR’s Division of Wildlife.

The preliminary total of deer killed during this year’s December 1-7 gun season is about 12 percent less than the previous year’s preliminary total of 133,163 – the state record for a one week deer-gun season. Twenty-eight counties had an increase in the number of deer taken over 2002’s numbers, while 60 had a decrease in kill.

Ohio’s first modern day deer-gun season opened in 1943 in three counties where hunters harvested 168 deer. In 1956, deer hunting was allowed in all 88 counties and hunters killed 3,911 deer during that one-week season.

At the beginning of the 2003-04 deer season, the statewide deer population was estimated to be 681,000. Approximately 450,000 hunters were expected to participate in the statewide deer-gun hunting season.

Counties reporting the highest numbers of deer brought to Ohio check stations last week included:

Tuscarawas 4,193
Guernsey 3,835
Coshocton 3,811
Muskingum 3,726
Washington 3,715
A total of 11 hunting incidents were reported for the week, a majority of which were self-inflicted accidents. Only one fatality was recorded, which was self-inflicted and is still under investigation in Knox County.

Deer hunting contributes an estimated $266 million during the season to Ohio's economy and helps to support thousands of jobs. Deer hunters also contribute thousands of pounds of venison to community-based organizations that help feed less fortunate Ohio residents through special programs such as Safari Club International's Sportsmen Against Hunger program.

Hunters still have eight weeks of white-tailed deer hunting available to them. Archery season remains open until the closing day of deer season on January 31, 2004. The statewide primitive season, also known as muzzle-loader season, will be held December 27 through December 30. During this period hunters may use a black powder muzzleloading rifle, .38 caliber or larger or muzzleloading shotgun of 10, 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 gauge using one ball per barrel.

biscuit eater 12-11-2003 06:04 PM

I hunted in gallia county on opening day with my dad and brother.In a big reclaimed strip mine. I got a young 5 pointer around noon with my muzzleloader and saw 2 seperate does before that but were running and didn't shoot. My dad and brother didn't see any. I'm gonna go back down during the late muzzle loader season and try for a doe.

kyhuntsman 12-11-2003 06:25 PM

I saw nothing but orange the entire season. I didn't even get a glimpse of a deer, but I will be back out for muzzle loader season at teh end of the month.

I just hope to see a deer at that time!
Matt

hoythunter48 12-11-2003 07:43 PM

I hunted a big reclaimed strip mine in gallia county to biscuit lol, I set in a tree stand for 11 and a half hours the first day and didnt see a deer. I saw a couple towards the end of the week. I didnt hear as much shooting as I normally do on opening day I think the population is declining myself. Ohio has great genetics but doesnt have a vast amount of deer. I love hunting there though, I also heard a rumor that there was a touch of some disease going around killing deer last year anybody know of this?

Chip Eaken 12-11-2003 08:37 PM

Got two urban does during gun. One on Monday, the other on Sunday. Saw about 15-20 each day I was out. My wife got a three-legged buck, some would call it an 8-point, some would call it a spike with personality. Had the drop on a nice 10-point, but couldn't shoot because another hunter I was with was in the directly behind it. Broadside at 30 yards. Also had the "big" doe on the property at 50 yards but put her vitals behind a tree with every step. No wonder everyone refers to her as the "unkillable b****". She's used up at least five or six of her apparent nine lives, so maybe she will be seen again during muzzleloader.

buckeye 12-11-2003 08:42 PM

Hey chip what urban deer unit do you hunt in. I hunt in the youngstown warren unit.

ruffhunter 12-12-2003 12:18 AM

I hunt Vinton and Miami CTY's with 30-45 days of hunting this year. This has been the worst year I have seen in deer patterns, sightings and rut activity, all around. Unusually warm weather I think played a big part. Our deer camp totals looks like they may be down by 20, without counting muzzleloading. I've have seen the least amount of bigger bucks of all my years hunting the same location since 1992 for vinton and early 80's for Miami. I am hearing the same from other hunters!!! I also noticed an abundant amount of button bucks this year, outnumbering does,,go figure,,should be some nice one's on the farm in 4 years.