Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

spread on antlers?

Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default spread on antlers?

I just read that deer that live in open terrain generally have wider racks. They say there are exceptions but that is the norm. THis is the first ive heard of this. I always thought it was genetics, age, food. Has anyone heard this or know anything about it
Old 12-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: spread on antlers?

i forgot to mention that the suposed reason for this is so that the deer in thicker cover can move more easily through the thick stuff. ?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makes sense but I've never heard of that.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 PM

It seems possible but I don't know how? It seems like deer in open places like Texas have really wide racks, and places that are more forest seem to be narrower. I doubt it's true, but does seem kinda possible. My buck I got this year in OK in open country has a pretty good spread, and my buddy shot one here in OK by the river in a wooded area, and it is much narrower but still very tall. Ironic I guess.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:08 AM
nub

I wouldn't think open vs heavily wooded has anything to with it. You can find monsters in both catagories. Wasn't this guy taken in the "bush" in Sask.?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

In theory that would make sense, but I killed an 8 point in Va. in 74 or 75 that was 21 3/4 inches on the inside and there is a lot of thick stuff around.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nub, milos deer was taken in the farmland, while it has some decent sized bluffs in the area it certainily wouldn't be considered a bush buck or bush area by our standards.

The theory has been always tossed out there and I have heard it several times, that deer that live in the bush tend to have narrower/ heavier tines, while bucks that live in the open areas tend to be wider and higher. While this does seem to be the case to a point, it really don't fly with me. I have seen both heavy narrows in the open areas and wider/taller racks in the bush. How could we think a 50" bull moose could live/navigate areas with tight trees, diamond willows & hazel brush but a 20" whitetail could not??? I am of the thinking it is based on genetics, food, water, stress, maturity and so on vs type of terrain. I think most deer live longer in the bush(forest) here due to lack of hunting pressure, less vehicle traffic, etc and we take them at a much older/mature stage - maybe even in the downside of their prime antler growth. Outfitters that hunt these same areas get plenty of wide/tall rack deer on a yearly basis but that is due to them hunting them and taking them in the prime vs post prime of antler growth. Deer in open areas have better food selection,etc and as such may develop racks earlier than those of there heavier cover brothers which still equate to genetics and all the factors mentioned. The colour of the rack is indicative to their enviroment here though, deer living in the open areas tend to be lighter, deer that live in the fringe tend to be dark brown and deer that live in the forest tend to be very dark brown. Some deer show streaks of black via the hazel brush they travel through.

It is interesting stuff and yes the enviroment does play a part but I don't believe it has to due with the amount or density of trees but more about food, stress, age and genetics.

Something I forgot to add is body size of deer in different parts can throw off how wide a deer looks, take for example a Texas whitetail that weighs 150 pounds, he will look extremely wide vs a sask/alta buck who tips the scale closer to 300lbs..even though both rack may measure the same spread. The texas one will always look bigger, just an optical illusion though really. Milos deer is emense no matter what the body size or area, umm maybe that is why he is in the Number 1 position
Old 12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not believe that to be true although it sounds good. I believe it to be genetics and nutrition, and age.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

hard to believe took a non typical that scored 165 with 18 in spread and six inch around between base and brow tine and have seen 20 plus inch with thin beams this is in some of the thickest nastiest stuff you would never want to crawl through.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor took a nice buck last Saturday afternoon, inside spread was 22" and he came out of a Laurel slick so thick you can't see both ends of your rifle at the same time. Not huge for sure but respectible from any point of view. I think it's genetics and food.

Quick Reply: spread on antlers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.