HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   took 12 year son for first hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45834-took-12-year-son-first-hunt.html)

mother goose 12-10-2003 12:55 PM

took 12 year son for first hunt

I took my 12 year old son out for his first time shotgun hunting this last weekend. Went out Saturday morning and had a lot of deer running all around us. One doe was within about 30 yards of us standing perfect for a shot, but my son couldn't see it. Later on we were walking along and a 8 point jumped up in front of us and when it was about 100 yrds away he says he clean shot and I told him not to shoot. I expained that the deer was too far away and running so chances of getting a good shot were very low.
Sunday morning we moved to a closer area to where all the deer were walking the day before. Right at shooting time three does come walking by. I asked him if he could see the deer and he says a little too loud that he couldn't see them. So those deer take off. At the time they were only 15 yards from us. A little later I look to the edge of the trees and see the biggest buck that I have ever seen on the property we were hunting. I asked my son I he could see the deer and he said yes. So I told him to get ready. The buck comes to within 30 yards and stands perfectly. My son is just shaking like crazy, but he gets a shot off. Unfortunately it was a miss. We definitely had a lot of fun though.
I had wondered before we went out what I would do if a monster buck came out if I would let him have the first shot. The only buck I have shot was a 6, and this buck was a massive 12 pointer so it was a hard decision, but if he could have downed that buck that would have been better than if I would have. So I don't regret the decision at all. And the look on his face when talking about getting his first shot was amazing. I think he finally understands that it is not as easy as the hunting games make it look like.

Aught Six 12-10-2003 01:35 PM

RE: took 12 year son for first hunt

Congratulations on his first hunt! You taught him quite a bit, and he'll remember those lessons come the next hunt. It sounds like you did a great job.

Did he have problems seeing because of cover, or is it his eyesight?

mother goose 12-10-2003 02:03 PM

We were in a blind. I was hoping that would give him a little more freedom with moving. One problem he was having was he was looking for the whole deer rather than the smallest part like an ear moving or any other movement. But I think that comes with experience.

webejonesin2 12-10-2003 04:22 PM

it'll be a hunt that he will never forget. learning never stops, congrats on your weekend:)

Tree climber 12-10-2003 05:44 PM

thats what they call making memories. congrats. on the great hunt.keep up the good work.

topbuck 12-10-2003 05:52 PM

You should be proud................when I first took my son hunting and he harvested a deer, I was beaming from ear to ear. You'll get your chance also.:)

BIGCOUNTRY10 12-10-2003 06:44 PM

That's got to be a great experience. My dad never took me hunting, he was alway working. And we I finally downed my deer, he looked like his mom had just dad, because he knew that he had missed something that was specail to me. I look back on that, and know that I won't miss my sons for deer. Just remember that when taking him hunting.

Runningun 12-10-2003 07:11 PM

I hope I will have that much will power when I take my little ones out, I have a hard enough time when they catch a fish letting them reel it in. I have to tell myself let them do it DAD!!
Peace:)

jimpok61 12-10-2003 07:35 PM

;) Wise choice to let him have that 1st. thrill. It's a clean miss that both of you shared, both learned and both will carry to their graves someday. That's real livin while it last.

JimboHunter1 12-10-2003 07:58 PM

Mother Goose, you did WHAT?!? Just kidding...
That'll be a memory that you and your son remember for the rest of your lives. You both have many happy hunting experiences ahead of you.