HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   My first time hunting - couple questions (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45822-my-first-time-hunting-couple-questions.html)

EBB 12-10-2003 11:43 AM

My first time hunting - couple questions

Hi all, I was out the last few days for the first time (Northeast PA.) I came out empty handed, but I'll try again next year.
First, I think a tree stand would be the way to go, but is there some measure of rivalry between tree & non-tree hunting?
Second, do all of you use scent-neutral soap & sprays all the time? How important are these?
Third, I've been pretty active in the woods all my life (hiking, canoing), and the only thing I didn't like about hunting was sitting there for 3 hours! I've heard people talk about tracking - and there were TONS of good tracks, but I'd like to learn the finer points of this method. Any good tapes out there?
Finally, how long would you stay put in your spot before changing location?
Thanks,
Eric

Deleted User 12-10-2003 12:08 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Buckstopshere 12-10-2003 12:11 PM

RE: My first time hunting - couple questions

Hi
Eric Welcome to the board! Your questions can mostly be answered by checking out the search feature, which you might want to use to get your feet on the ground.
I usually stay in the same place for the day,and change after at least two days if no action. Neutral soaps for your body and clothing are crucial, unless you're hunting in a strong wind and you're down wind. Tree stands, well placed help on the human scent aspect and give you a broader view ( and, as you're shooting down, a safer shot). there are numerous answers to your your broad based questions and I do suggest you run through the search feature of this board to get a general understanding . Good luck!

Tomster 12-10-2003 12:29 PM

Eric,

Welcome...I too hunt in Northeast PA and when I started hunting I did not get many deer these either. I would see deer during the rut and Archery season, but when Rifle came, nothing. It is wasy to get frustrated but you do get better with time and effort.

I do a combination of tree stand hunting and still or blind hunting. I usually break up my hunts between morning and evening. Morning is before sun up till 10-11 am. Then I go home warm up and do an evening hunt from 2 pm - after sun down. Usually these hunts are not in the same location. Most of the deer I get are in the evening hunt, in a funnel area near a lake and swamp.
I am lucky in that I have multiple location to hunt in.

I mention these things because I feel if you need do multiple things, something will hit. Look for where the deer are feeding or where they are bedding. Look for tracks in the snow, look for funnel areas where multiple lanes come together. Don't look for that big buck and go for the does. There are many does out there you just need to find out where they are. I know a guy that goes to one area, climbs a tree and waits. He hasn't shot a deer in 3 years. I have shot many deer over these last few years.

I live near associations where deer can not be hunted. Deer will go into these areas but some will come out. Find out where... Public lands are tough to hunt on and are over hunted.

Scouting is an important feature to hunting and now is a good time to do it. Also you could take up muzzleloading, flint, which will add several weeks to your hunting, 1 week in October and over 2 weeks in late Dec - January.

Good luck.... you still have untill sundown Saturday to get a deer. You can't get one from the computer!

EBB 12-10-2003 02:01 PM

Thanks for the tips - I'll do a better search here.
Overall, I liked the experience - but I can't hunt too often because of work & where I live (I was at a friend's place - I live further south.) I adheared to the basics: found a nice hide behind a log, was really still & quiet, I was upwind looking down at a grazing area, I was in at 6:30 AM... A buddy of mine said that as a result of few hunters out, the deer weren't being driven as much. From what I've read, many of you are in an hour before 1st shot. Anyway, I'll do my research & try again... I'm sure I'll be posting again - Thanks for the welcome note!
-Eric