Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I shot one side of the antler

Old 12-09-2003, 10:56 PM

Default I shot one side of the antler

off of my buck this deer season . I went ahead and caped it out . Does anyone know if this can be fixed ? This was a nice 8 point that went over 250 lbs . The biggest Buck that I have ever killed . So I am hoping that this can be fixed . I shot it off right above the base of the right antler .

Thanks for your help .....
Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Spike

Default RE: I shot one side of the antler

Hey there , yes it can be repaired by a skilled taxidermist . In the right hands it can be fixed and noone will ever know it was shot off. You may have to look around and you may have to send it out of state. Surf the net under taxidermy and and make a few calls and you should be able to find someone to do the job. Make sure you send it to someone who specializes in antler repair or the results may not be what you would hope for.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

drill, wire and bondo. sand to desired texture and stain to match. i wouldnt pay someone to do it. its not hard ,really!
moose
Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't know you could kill them by shooting the antlers off. I may have to try that. I guess you waste less meat that way.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it can be repaired. Once in a while I hear of this happening. I hate to say it but do you know how this happens? Watchin the horns instead of where you want to shoot it. (Calm down) lol