Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to look for in a Tree Stand? >

What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM

Default What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Well for Christmas I am planning on asking for my very first tree stand, but I have no idea what to look for in a tree stand? Like is it bad to go for a cheap one like around 100$ or what? Any input is appreciated! Thanks
Old 12-09-2003, 08:05 PM

Default RE: What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Thats what I am getting for Christmas also... I have choosen one of the new Summits.... they are very light and conformable
Old 12-09-2003, 08:19 PM

Comfort, stability, quiet, easy to set-up...
I am also going to get one of the Summits. Great stand for under $100.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Comfort, easy to set up, easy to climb and price. If you can go about $170 you can get a Buckshot. Great climber. (I also have a Summit Viper XL)
Old 12-10-2003, 09:59 AM

I guess it also depends on if you want a climber or hang-on, or maybe a ladder stand.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest a lightweight one if you plan on moving it lots. Also, avoid any with a chain as the means of fastening to the tree. They are noisy - I have one and use it as a semi-permanant stand as a result. I put it up at least a month before the season and leave it locked to the tree until I get my deer or the season ends. On that note: I also remove all of my bottom tree steps (within reach from the ground) to deter others from using/stealing my stand. I would also get the largest platform size possible, if weight and/or money are not a concern. Try to get one with a detatchable foam seat so that you do not have to leave it out in the rain.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:49 AM
Spike

If you can find a climber that has the bars to slide your feet into rather than the straps that you have to tighten. It is so aggravating to lean down through your seat section and tighten or loosen the straps. I have gotten several leg cramps that almost made me pass out. Also look at what happens to the seat back when you climb. My seat back is either in my face or against the tree. If it is against the tree it makes a scraping noise as I climb that may give away your position. My climber has the arm cushions attached with velcro. It has the cables for mounting to the tree. In order to adjust the cables you have to remove the pads making noise. I don't even use them so don't let a bunch of padding make you buy it. A removable shooting rail for bow or gun is great as is a foot rest for comfort.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

UP - depends on what you want - climber or hang on. I can tell you about hang-on stands only because I don't use climbers. I can set up a stand and leave it though.

Couple things to look for:
Platform size: get one big enough to feel comfortable on

Seat: do not get the bar type - will put your legs to sleep in minutes, get the frame seat fold up type (River's Edge Big Foot for example), 22" seat height works better for me, easier to stand up (I'm 6'). Get a seat cover you can take off for weather.

Material: avoid hollow tubing (API Baby Grand for example), they are like amplifiers in the woods, very loud unless you put a welcome mat on them.

Brand/Cost: I just bought and returned a $300 stand - The Moose - it uses the ball and chain hang on system - made in Bay City. The rubber balls on the chain and the rubber feet on the stand are really loud. I just bought a $59 River's Edge Big Foot - great stand, solid, quiet, comfortable, cheap, and made in USA. It doesn't take a lot of cash to get a nice hang-on. Avoid Hunter's View - cheaply made, they squeak and creak, have had cable recalls on some models and made in China. Gorilla stands are a good stand - quiet, cheap and comfy, but made in China.

Foot Rest: Spend the extra 15 bones and get one. They are worth every penny.

Strapping Systems: Invest $20 in a pair of ratchet straps for top and bottom - this will crank the stand to the tree and will not move or creak. Safer too.

You don't really need to spend a ton of cash to get a decent stand. I've had cheap stand in the same tree for 8 years. They are still in great shape. Every season WD-40 the seat hinges and they are quiet for another year.

Good luck, and good hunting.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: badshotbob

I just bought a $59 River's Edge Big Foot - great stand, solid, quiet, comfortable, cheap, and made in USA.
Have you field tested this stand yet? If so how are these compared to sitting on the ground with your back against a tree? My problem is my back starts to hurt after about an hour when sitting on the ground, so are tree stands more comfortable? Also does this stand have a foot rest? I guess I dont really know what that looks like so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes its best to spend a bit more and be satisfied. But if this is the first one then you really aren't probably sure of what you prefer in a stand. And visiting a forum for advice is a good first step.
I have bowhunted forever,well almost, but have used many stands. I believe that you can't go wrong with a lone wolf. They are pricey but what I've seen they are well worth it.
Having said that, I've never climbed with a lone wolf. I just got my climber last night. This weekend its going bowhunting. But looking at it and putting it on my back, it is a nice stand. I've tried the hang on lone wolf and its a great stand as well.
A lot of the guys on this forum like the summit. I have one, a climber, its a piece of junk. Only once did it go bowhunting, because it creaks when I shift weight on the stand. But, to summits credit, I looked at the new summits at gander mountain and they are made better than mine. The new ones have cross members that are made of triangular tube and mine were made of cheap lightweight channel. Even though mine was purchased only a few years ago for over $200. The name summit is like a bad taste in my mouth, the worst $200. plus I've ever spent on hunting gear.

Happy Hunting
Dan

Quick Reply: What to look for in a Tree Stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.