HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Fish and wildlife technician? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45764-fish-wildlife-technician.html)

Joe_148 12-09-2003 06:21 PM

Fish and wildlife technician?

Has anyone pursued this career? Im just exploring careers and such(gr.11-gotta decide). I definitely want to work outdoors, and be involved in the conservation of fish/wildlife and forestry. I also looked at a forestry technician, but I cant make up my mind, although im leaning towards the fish and wildlife tech.

What type of work do you do? Do you either take on a job with fisheries or wildlife, or does the job mix the two. Im not hardly interested in fish, but as long as im outdoors I will enjoy it.

who_else 12-09-2003 06:56 PM

RE: Fish and wildlife technician?

i am looking at this sort of career as well. i am just getting some basic schooling at a com college to save some money in the future, good luck with whatever u deciede.

Joe_148 12-09-2003 07:10 PM

are you taking that specific course? what are you taking?

JoeA 12-09-2003 09:42 PM

In some states there is overlap, but usually the jobs are segregated; wildlife or fisheries. You can tip the balance towards your interest by the courses you take in school. (I'm a looong time fan of the "ichs & herps"; fish, reptiles & amphibians-basically the really cool stuff, but I'm biased)

One piece of advice to help you...take the chemistry, especially the organic chemistry classes. Many wildlife techs (I've known several) get stuck becasue they don't have the chem background to apply for biology positions. You may be hapy with the tech work, but the biologist jobs can encompass all that and you'll be more upwardly mobile.

I don't want to sound like a high school job councilor, but..I do work in the field so to speak.(comm. marine fisheries stuff) Take the organic chem, the calculus (ugh!) and database mgt stuff. Some course work in environmental toxicology and monitoring can do wonders. I know a guy who sampled fish for PCB's, and not all the fish were collected with a net. Get the hint;)

timbercruiser 12-10-2003 07:21 AM

Regardless of which career you choose, go for at least a 4 year degree. An education is sort of like rank in the military, you may have more knowledge than the one above you, but having that degree has it privileges and more pay.

Deleted User 12-10-2003 12:51 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Deleted User 12-10-2003 08:53 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

huntnma 12-11-2003 07:10 AM

great advice has been given to you...stay in school...americorp is a very helpful agency.....they send people to us all the time to do thier hours and it has gotten alot of doors opened to them.....try volunteering at one of your state parks/reserve/preserves... the parks service is great too......i work on 31, 000 acres...i'm at the bottom of the totum pole but i love it, there hasnt been a day in 2.5 yrs. that i havent loved going to work...we do controlled burns, now that is a learning experience, fire in general...dont know how happy you'd be in forestry.....heard some good and heard some bad, i think it's something you'd personally have to do and see for yourself.....but i have learned to operate airboats and i am qualified to teach others now, lol...dont care for em too much, i mean i love em, but they are real easy to sink.....i've learned alot about land management and hydrological restoration and guess what , i help the biologist with the critter counts and such, plant identifcation, so much...so stay in school and become a biologist is what i say.....work as you go.......good luck and i really hope you find what you are looking for.....

Wildlifeman21786 08-20-2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_148 (Post 442959)
Has anyone pursued this career? Im just exploring careers and such(gr.11-gotta decide). I definitely want to work outdoors, and be involved in the conservation of fish/wildlife and forestry. I also looked at a forestry technician, but I cant make up my mind, although im leaning towards the fish and wildlife tech.

What type of work do you do? Do you either take on a job with fisheries or wildlife, or does the job mix the two. Im not hardly interested in fish, but as long as im outdoors I will enjoy it.

I received a degree in Environmental Science with emphasis in biology and ecology and have only been able to work temporary jobs. Chinook Salmon in Idaho, bottomland ecology in Arkansas, and herpe job in Missouri. My best advise is to do lots of volunteer work with wildlife management areas, national parks, hatcheries, and as many internships as you can get. To be truthful, a degree is good but most jobs want someone with experience and a Master's degree. Good luck bud!

Vermont_hunter 08-20-2012 01:33 PM

I am currently majoring in Conservation and Wildlife management. just like everyone said stay in school and do lots of vol. work. I spent the entire summer working on a Whitetail ranch in Texas. it was truly a great experience and i wouldn't have been able to do that without what i had learned in school thus far. My plans for after school are, to either become a game warden, wildlife biologist, or possibly a whitetail biologist on a white farm like where i worked over the summer. the only other thing i can tell you that will be helpful is to check out the texas A&M job board, there are always new jobs being posted everyday and it will give you a feel for what is out there. here is the link http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/