Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats the unluckiest thing to happen to you while hunting >

Whats the unluckiest thing to happen to you while hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats the unluckiest thing to happen to you while hunting

Old 12-09-2003, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the unluckiest thing to happen to you while hunting

Some great stories out there, this one hardly compares. Once I was hunting a large piece of public land in NY during shotgun season. I was on the ground, up against a tree watching a trail. I begin to hear the sound of a helicopter. Louder and louder it gets. Here it comes, hovering right over me, watching. I wave after realizing he was not going anywhere. It hovered for about a minute or two before they were satisfied I wasn't the person they were looking for. It turns out some kid went into the snowy woods the day before to hunt, wearing nothing but sneakers on his feet and he never came out. Later that day, he did walk out of the woods on his own.

Also, two years ago, here in RI, my buddy realized the key to his shotgun trigger lock was safe at home I gave him my truck to get home and get some sleep, just be back around noon. Welll, out of the woods at noon and no buddy/truck[>:] Oh well, had to hunt for an extra couple of hours...
Old 12-09-2003, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've had the usual other hunters walking up on you when deer are coming. 2 incidents stick out in my mind.
#1: I once set up a ladder stand for bowseason. The stand was 25 feet up with its' extension. Well I go to climb down after hunting the AM and the ladder part of the stand seperates from the seat. The ladder is dangling too far for me to reach. Apparantely after some hard rains it settled just enough to create enough slop where the ladders go together. So I'm perched in my seat 25 feet up which is fastened by a ratchet strap. The problem is nobody else was hunting with me. I had 2 choices either jump down or wait for someone to come after me. Well turns out I ended up in my stand until well after dark before my buddy came. I didn't tell him where I was going, but after my wife called him in a panic, he drove out there and saw my truck and figured out where I was. Always tell someone where you'll be!!

#2: Years ago I had a big buck coming to me, got to 30 yards I put the release on and went to draw back only to have the velcro seperate and my hand slip out of it. I guess you should replace those every so often.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where to begin . . .where to begin . . . ?

**Last year, I had set up my stand several days before the season and removed the bottom 3 steps so no one could get to or use my stand. I arrived silently without spooking any deer and realized that I didn't bring my 3 steps with me! []

**This year, same tree. I arrived silently and w/o spooking deer again. This time I had my steps, but not my stand.

**This year, different area a few days later. I arrived silently w/o spooking deer . . . again. This time I have BOTH my steps and my stand with me. The tree had blown over because of the hurricane![:@]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Had a stand at the edge of a swamp that I spent the whole day in,when I heard a deer crashing thru the ice coming my way,I got ready and all I saw was his rack he was an 8 pointer at least,when my friend started to blow the car horn.The buck did an about face,and back into the swamp he went.
To this day I have never said a word about it to him.[:@]

Joe
Old 12-09-2003, 01:51 PM

I have this thing with hunting at different military bases that I have been stationed at and/or did operations at. I particularly enjoy hunting at MCB Quantico, normally I go to D.C. every fall for a seminar and sneak down to the base either before or after it ends.

2 years ago on a Saturday, after checking out my hunting area during archery season, I pull off the highway to head to the back side of the base before dawn. As I pull off, I notice several commercial buses full of Marines pulled over on the road and, having spent some time in the reserves, I figure that a reserve unit has shown up for some weekend drill...maybe even my old unit. Oh well, it's off to my area.

Just after dawn, I hear those buses pull up at the training area/range next to me and unload. Now they must be several hundred to 1000 yards away and if you have never heard a company of Marines unload and form up they can be pretty loud. But I think that all the noise and commotion from that area might help to push deer my way so I am not upset to hear the racket, including, besides the yelling, digging, banging stakes etc.

The first hour of daylight comes and goes without any deer sightings.

Then, I hear an FDC give a fire command to a gun line and I realize that myneighbors are a mortar unit. Hmmm, this might be a problem. They are doing dry runs so no shooting yet ....so hope remains that the mortar firing won't screw up my hunt, ...all the noise is at the receiving end, right?

Sure enough, the first tube fires to sink its base plate, which is not too loud (it is an 81) and the single impact is way off and ok too, each other tube does the same. Great, just enough noise to send every deer running my way...I get ready. Of course, the next fire mission was the real thing including several rounds from each tube in effect. That was bad, damn near scared me half to death and I can only imagine what it did to the deer.

The fire continues for a while until mid morning, a typical mortar shoot with fire for effect every fifteen minutes or so and I am pretty pesimistic about that day's chances, but since I am from New England and I won't get a chance to hunt here again this year, I figure that I'll stick it out for a while.

Then, relief, the tubes go silent for a couple of hours, maybe they used up their annual allotment of ammo (considering it is the reserves), and now I am happy I stayed. Happy, that is, until the first mission of the afternoon, a SEAD mission (suppression of enemy air defense) when an f-18 went screaming by over my head on full afterburner after dropping a 500 lber at the same range.

Then I packed up and headed back to Massachusetts.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

My unluckiest experiences have been 5 stitches, twice!
Once while knocking over a dead tree to open up a better shooting lane, the top section fell, 5 stitches!
The other time was "scope eye" from making an awkward shot at a deer, 5 stitches!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:34 PM

Amongst a miriad of stupid things I have done, The one that got the most laughs at the local Inn was, Once I drove an hour and a half to my hunting spot, got all dressed ,reached for my bow, reached for the quiver and low and behold. I took the target arrows out and forgot to put in the broadheads.

Another time my wife and I went shooting clays and She brought the key to her trigger lock but you know who forgot his.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:53 PM

The day I shot my first deer I went out by myself and hiked into a spot about 2 miles off the road and shot a nice buck. it ran down to the bottom of the draw, but that was ok cause I was excited. after figuring out how to field dress it I
dragged the deer for almost 2 hours, I was bagged! I got to a spot that I could get my truck too. I left the deer there, walked to my truck and drove up to the deer. I loaded the deer and tried to turn around and my driver side front tire fell into a big hole. no problem but when I tried to engage my 4 wheel drive,[&o] nothing worked. I looked under the truck and I saw my drive shaft broken and hanging under my truck[:@]. So I went for about a 12 mile walk down the mountain. I got my truck out with help from another guy and finally got my deer home. I guess thats what you guys mean when you say "THATS DEER HUNTIN"
Old 12-09-2003, 07:00 PM

the unluckiest thing that happened to me was last year i was late out to my stand and i was pulling my bow up and the strings snapped. so my bow fell 1- ft with quiver on and one arrow snapped. then an hour later a small 6 pt walked by in range but i couldnt shoot wit my bow down on the groun.

Quick Reply: Whats the unluckiest thing to happen to you while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.