HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   [Deleted] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45606-deleted.html)

Deleted User 12-08-2003 08:11 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

ButchA 12-08-2003 08:23 AM

RE: Shotgun Deer Hunting Question

I have a Remington 870 12GA. It's plenty powerful for deer. I'm not sure about your 20GA though. I might be good, but then, the 12GA would be the best bet out of the two.

I also have a smooth bore 28" barrel on my 870. I use these choke tubes:

#00 Buckshot: Full choke (maybe Modified depending on conditions).

Slugs: Improved Cylinder. (you have to use IC with slugs and you have to use Rifled slugs - i.e. Remington Sluggers).

Butch

StickslingnTom 12-08-2003 08:23 AM

Ifferd,

I have never shot buckshot out of a shotgun but i would assume that you would probably want to use a full choke with that so you could get the most out of your range. As for slugs, i have always had good luck with the modified choke tube, and if you get Remington Sluggers thats what they advise using. Hope this helps.

Tom

teamster284 12-08-2003 12:29 PM

use improver cyl. choke tube for slugs. dont know about buck shot it is illeagal in ohio. if you want the best results spend a few bucks and buy a riffled barrell. you wont be disappointed. i shoot a mossberg 835 12GA riffled barrle and shoot winchester platinum series slugs. open sight and can group in a paper plate at 100 yrds no problem. as for your 20GA i hunt with some guys who have kids old enough to hunt and same configuration as my 12GA riffled barrel good slugs and they will stop a deer just as well if you hit where you are supposed to hit.

SCRIDER1 12-08-2003 03:43 PM

These are all good suggestions...here's another....consider spending a few bucks to buy a rifled choke tube and shoot sabots. I hunted with an 870 12 g for years with this set-up...Winchester 2 3/4" sabots worked best for me but there are a bunch on the market to choose from. I got "pie-plate" accuracy with my at 80-100 yard ranges pretty easily after some practice.
SC in LR

who_else 12-08-2003 07:34 PM

i have a rem 870 12 gauge with a rifled barrel, my question is can i shoot rifled slugs out of that with not much problems? or do i have to stick with the expensive sabots? thanks.

slugman 12-09-2003 04:09 PM

unless you have a rifled barrel , sabots wont be worth the extra $$

who_else 12-09-2003 04:22 PM

i have the rifled barrel, but i dont really want to spend all the money for sabots, can i use the rifled slugs in a rifled barrel? thanks

Strut&Rut 12-09-2003 04:36 PM

Yes,

You can shoot the rifled slugs out of the rifled barrel without any problems.

The rifled slugs will shoot fine out of your gun. In the long run though, the sabots may give you 25 more yards of accuracy. And...if you figure $2.00 compared to 0.50 per slug (Sabot versus rifled), you're talking mere pennies per shot (about 150 to be exact ;) ) to increase both accuracy and knockdown power.

Strut&Rut 12-09-2003 04:40 PM

Just another quick note...

When the Sabots were first introduced, they were designed specifically for rifled barrels. Those with smoothbore barrels were instructed to not use the Sabots.

Nowadays, you can use Sabots in smoothbore barrels provided you have the correct choketube (which will say something like "Sabots only").

Those with smoothbore barrels, be sure to get the proper choke tube if you use Sabots. I had a buddy balloon the end of his barrel because he didn't follow the recommendations. Got him a new gun ;) , but the near heart-attack wasn't worth it in his own opinion [8D]...

S&R