HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   what do you think? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45584-what-do-you-think.html)

mauser06 12-07-2003 10:18 PM

what do you think?

ok....me and some friends were pheasant hunting one day a few weeks ago..all walking in a straight line...well a big buck kicked up right between me and my friend.....massive buck....didnt get a good look becuase he was so stealthy but had good spread and tine leghnt...well me and 3 friends were deer hunting yesterday..2 were driving....2 were posted...i was a poster....well my friend drove right near me about 60 yds up the hill so anything that took out would be running infront of me or across me and i could take a shot when it was safe....well right wehre the big buck kicked up came running a nice littler buck that day....looked to be a 8pt or so....not huge but would make a fine second buck....i didnt get that buck....we tracked him down with the snow and seen him on a hillside over 200yds away...no chance to get close because he knew we were there....i took a shot but didnt think of bullet drop and just hit below him.....it will be 4-5 days or more before i go back....do you think that little honeyhole will be worth the time to drive it out? its a really thick little piece between a field and woods these 2 bucks were laying in....im pretty sure they were diffrent bucks.....do you think it would be worth it to try again...now i know what way they might go so i can set up better.....and alot of my friends want to hunt but dont have bucktags left anymore....so im sure i can get a driver...what do you think? will one of them be back?? also anyone know a good way to stop a deer coming out of a drive....i couldnt get a shot the first time at the littler one the other day because he was running so fast.....sure i could opened up on him but that isnt my style....1 good shot or no shot at all....would i beable to stop them with a grunt or bleat? i stop deer by saying bah....will that work with a deer coming out of a drive like that?? i didnt have the time to think of it the other day.....but now i am so do you think it will stop him? im going to tell my driver not to be loud and scream or anything so the buck doesnt know whats coming...last time my driver was screaming on the top of his lungs BUCK!!!!!! devin its a BUCK!!! HE HAS HORNS!!!!!!! and i think that made the buck run so fast......what do you think? will one of them return to the little hole? how can i stop them for a good shot? thanx alot....id love a set of antlers for the wall this season.....i have meat already.....thanx

RugerNo.1 12-07-2003 10:50 PM

RE: what do you think?

From my experiences, if a buck is moving just whistle and he will stop dead in his tracks. If he doesn't stop on the first whistle, do it again. Although, if he is in a FULL SPRINT, there is not much chance of anything stopping him, but otherwise a whistle should work every time.

mauser06 12-08-2003 03:04 PM

thanx ruger.....im not much of a whistler lol....my bah might work if a whistle will....i talked to my group today...i got atleast 3 of them willing to drive......heck the one that is the leader pretty much(we all "go" with him and his family) came up to me today adn told me i missed my chance yesterday....but were gunna get the buck! i hope i do....ill be the only one with a gun i believe.....were gunna plan out a good drive and force him right by me.....then im going to make sure they do it so he doesnt come out like a bat outa hell so maybe he will get up run a few seconds and stop and look back....or so hes jogging and i can get a good shot i feel good with or try to stop him......we will see........i got alot of thinking to do on where i want to be and wehre i want my drivers to come in from.....everyone else got their bucks i believe.......

webejonesin2 12-08-2003 03:12 PM

good luck! hope it all works in your favor.

skeeter 7MM 12-08-2003 03:32 PM

IME a deer being pushed(drive style) that comes out on the run ain't stopping for anything but heavy cover in the next bluff. If he is swaggering sure try and stop him. I am not sure how your drives work but around here you better be a good wing shot as they are moving, seeing you don't want to shoot at a moving target you might want to try a different technique such as stalking or silent hunting the area.

To the will he return; maybe! Will others more than likely!!! If you have kicked deer up in the past then obviously something is holding deer to that spot, it is certainly worth a try..although I might try hunting it in a way that you are more comfortable with the shooting possibilities. Unless the deer in PA look both ways before they cross the open areas after being rousted from their bed??;)

mauser06 12-08-2003 04:14 PM

yes skeeter i get what your saying.....shooting deer running full speed just isnt me....unless i got a really nice shot i know i can take....i took a doe running full blast through a thicket...she jumped into an opening...i fired...she piled up.....but that was close....not in a field.....thats why im trying to plan a good way to drive him out.....i am kinda thinking about going there one day alone....sneak right into the area and try to put him up and drop him...maybe he will stand up and stop to see whats coming...or run straight away and i can put on through the back of the neck or through the spine into the vitals or something.....i just dont shoot brown....i want a specific kill zone to shoot at....we put up a big buck there a few weeks back....then this one the other day.....its a really thick ravine with pines on one side and a wide open field on the other.....i know its useless to stand hunt him...hes not dumb....either buck is a pretty good one for here....i didnt get a good look at either of them but they arent no dinks thats for sure......might not be huge but not tiny either.....the first one we kinda put up slowly....he bounded away straight away...i could probally took him if i was hunting him.....i dont know i hope they are in there.....if i get either of them i will have the biggest buck out of the group except for my friends uncles big 9pt.....im going to try to plan a good drive for him....but now im kinda considering still hunting almost.....slowly move in and jump him up slowly or something......but if i have my friends kick him out and im 200yds away and grunt at him i think he just might stop.....and i can wait till i have a good angle and nice shot.......i dont know....i got alot of thinking....i hope one of them is in there.....my dad said he HAS to have antlers this time.....he dont want more butcher bills just becuase i took another doe......so he gota have antlers until muzzleloader season......thanx guys

young_gun 12-08-2003 07:12 PM

the only way your going to get him to stop more than likely is you get to where your going to stand as quiet as possible. and then have the drivers just walk through at a slower pace and not yelling or anything. I would almost say that if there is a fence line to sit in that, so that he will not see you and then really start to hall balls. But like skeeter said you probably wont get him to stop if hes pushed.

philbert8 12-09-2003 09:28 AM

Set up a ground blind. Driving is for people with ADD who can't sit still.

Tazman 12-09-2003 10:45 AM

the only way your going to get him to stop more than likely is you get to where your going to stand as quiet as possible. and then have the drivers just walk through at a slower pace and not yelling or anything.
young gun has given some good advice, a buck would rather sneak out of an area than run, he knows when he runs that he is BUSTED!!!! If your drivers are pushing very slowly he will slide out of the area rather than run.

Crawdaddy 12-09-2003 11:30 AM

I'd definately work the area again as there is a reason for that deer being there and others will use it as well. Like mentioned previously have the doggers walk slowly through it and they'll just try to slide out and probably give you good shooting opportunity. I little "HAARRR" should be enough to stop it long enough for a good shot unless its running full tilt.

Crawdaddy