Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best deer hunting tip

Old 12-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best deer hunting tip

From my dad : Always eat what you shoot. If you don't plan on eating it then don't shoot it.

Also from my dad: Never wipe with plants that have 3 leaves. You'll regret it in the morning.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

My uncle taught me that persaverance is key, you can do everything right and if you do not stick it out you will not score.

I beleive along with persaverance you also have to try and learn something every time you hunt and learn/adjust from it.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:40 AM

my hunting buddy(my Dad): PATIENCE -- i remember we would go out and i would get so frustrated seeing all kinds of sign and not really seeing deer.

he always said be patient and don't give up, good advice
Old 12-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

My dad and uncle use to always say: "Judge the success by the experience not the harvest" This goes hand n' hand with the patience, etc like taz mentioned, if your consumed with tagging an animal there is alot your missing when hunting, taking it all in will provide patience and ultimately lead to successful harvests.

The best advice is "hunt the wind to your favor" yes one we all say and preach, however it is something that needs to be reinstated and instilled everytime you take to the woods.

Something I found is scouting is hunting, so why wouldn't a hunter take every opportunity to head out & scout...always a season right around the corner! You put the time in and you will be rewarded...gauranteed!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

The best advice I've ever recieved is this:

Never NEVER rush a shot. Always take your time when shooting. If the animal doesn't present a good shot then pass and wait for a better opportunity, even if that means not killing a deer that season.

Because I always try to adhere to this advice, fortunately I've only lost 1 deer in 18 years of hunting, and this was when I was young. The reason I lost this deer? I rushed the shot. We tracked this deer for 5 hours that night and then again for another 3 hours the next morning but never found it. It was gut shot and the blood trail ran out. It made me sick when we couldn't find this animal.

I'll never forget that, and hopefully that will never happen again. As a result, I always take my time when shooting a deer and I haven't lost a deer since.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:00 PM

many of the above ive been told by my dad years ago, but the most important would be Patients.

OH yeah- those three leaves can be a real pain, my cousin found that out the hard way[]
Old 12-08-2003, 03:01 PM

hunt with the wind in your face and a cushion to your back
raim
Old 12-08-2003, 04:09 PM

i didnt post my tip !its not really a tip but it keeps me focused. you know the feeling , your hunting buddies have all shot and or tagged out . time is marching on , all your seeing are grey squirels and crows. your freezing your a-- off . i sit there and think about how fast things happen in the deer woods ,like with in a minute i could (and have had) a beautiful 8 pointer laying dead just on the other side of the hemlock tree over next to the stone wall. this above anything else is my drive when it seems like its going to be bust of a season . and it has played out like ive written many times over!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

After you make your shot, wait 15 minutes before you get out of your stand. I have never pushed a hit deer this way, and have always found the deer dead at the end of a short blood trail.

If you are shooting a muzzleloader, reload immediatly after the shot. You would be amazed at how often you see another deer after you shoot. I learned this the hard way.

When leaving your stand to do #2, always factor in the time it takes to unhook your overalls.

C. Davis

Quick Reply: best deer hunting tip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.