Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

splittin up the bounty

Old 12-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: splittin up the bounty

I believe the essence in the different replies stems from 2 scenarios:

1) Hunting camps: Rules here are laid down usually upon initiation of the camp. Each camp has its own rules, but usually there is either a known/unknown rule that costs and bounties will be divided---either unequally or equally---but nonetheless, divided.

2) Hunting partners: Rules here are very much disorganized to say the least. No traditions, unless partners have a long past history. Hunting partners usually just hunt together---hence, there are no week-long excursions with shared expenses. Just a bunch of guys that get together and hunt together---period.

For #1, usually acceptance at the club/lodge/camp equals acceptance of the rules. Disobey the rules and don't expect to come back.

For #2, the only governing words are the legality of the hunt and any "promises" given by each member. It is up to the harvestor of the game to decide if they want to divy any of the meat.

I always hunt option #2, whenever possible. Hunting with friends is so much more fun. We always share, but possibly that may stem from the facts that we are friends . New guys are always questionable---are they safe, considerate, well-trained---and those are just hunting questions, let alone the personal attributes.

Bottom line here: You obviously share some sense of comraderie with this guy if your nice enough to take him hunting. I would have left it with that personally. Just hope that your "spot" doesn't become theirs next year.

Either way, sounds like you're in for a boatload of questions and confusions my friend. Goood luck...

S&R
Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have plenty of deer, so if you kill it it is yours unless you want to split it. Usually you can get someone to give you a deer, I have given away a lot of them over the years.
It seems there is a reason the guy and his partners don't have a place to hunt. They are probably too lazy to get in the woods and hunt a place, have a lousy attitude and/or personality, or they are too tight with their money to lease a place to hunt. I bet if you carry them that you will have a lot of company in your honeyhole while you are trying to hunt. If you are happy with your hunting, don't do anything to change it. Come up with any excuse for not taking them.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

if you kill the deer, its yours. ive already killed 13 so i dont need anymore meat. in fact, ive given away the last 7 deer ive killed.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off I would have said the invite stops at the guy you invited and if you wanted more guys to come you'd ask them. This has happened on more than one occasion to me in the past and I know the feeling or situation your in. I have said ok in the past but have learned this generally doesn't work well, so now say no when the tag alongs pop up. Like somebody eluded to, you show these guys the spots and they don't need you next time, it does and can happen. Hopefully this won't be the case for you.

If you believe splitting the bounty is the way, then say so. It is your trip, spot and invite they can either decide to come or stay. I am a firm believer the guy who is setting up the trip (or spot) makes the rules, anybody who is not willing to abide by the rule shall not apply! It does go both ways though, you may be the only one to harvest a deer and must be willing to only get a 1/4 instead of the whole deer.

For my group when it comes to deer we go by you shot it, we help you deal with it and it is yours to do what you want with it. This is fair as well and no expectation or suprises. For bigger game such as elk and moose, it is equally shared between the number of guys in camp and tags.

Of course regardless of the hunting expenses of the trip should be shared equally among all.

Good Luck and I hope it works out positively for you!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: 02bhntn

We don't split anything up. If you kill it you grill it. If you were fortunate to harvest an animal and someone else didn't, well that's life. That is why they call it hunting. If that is the case then you could just show up and go sit in the woods in a spot where you know that you aren't going to see anything and still bring some meat home. Not here my friend.
You're joking right? Someone you know would actually *avoid* shooting a deer hoping to share someone else's? Now, I don't have any problem with you kill it you grill it, although we always party hunt and share (dressing, dragging, expenses, etc.), but I really dont' have a prob. with the way you do it. But it seems way far fetched to me that someone would go hunting, all the expense, trouble and (sometimes) suffering and not want to at least give it their best shot (unskilled as it might happen to be). Share or not, everyone I know wants to be "da man" who shoots the deer. -zeke
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM

I usually only hunt with my dad or a friend. We don't split it up. What you shoot is yours.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting with several friend and we have never shared our deer. I have been hunting with my brother for 6-7 years and we ahve never shared our deer.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I don't hunt with someone else in hopes of getting a share of the "bounty", I go hunting with someone else to share the experience with.

I can see how onoe might want to share theri meat if you go to a hunting camp, but not just going to a local spot.

Matt
Old 12-09-2003, 10:11 PM

well,me my friend, and his dad go hunting every year, but we havent shared any meat, His dad ussually picks up a hotel room and drives. But when me and my stepdad go antelope hunting we ussually split everything.Except for he drives, because i dont have a pickup.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I primarily hunt solo, but when I was hunting with other guys, we always agreed that whoever shot a deer kept his deer for himself.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:05 AM

Well as far as i'm concerned, anyone who participated in the hunt gets an equal shoare of the harvest...NO IF, ANDS or BUTS about it!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]

Quick Reply: splittin up the bounty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.