HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Post Snowstorm Success!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45511-post-snowstorm-success.html)

DJ88 12-07-2003 05:42 AM

Post Snowstorm Success!!

Had planned for a day of hunting on Saturday but thought the day was lost due to the ongoing nor'easter. I waited it out at home given the blizzard conditions but was going stir crazy by 2PM. At about 2:30PM, the winds began to die down and snow slowed to a shower, so I decided to hike to my stand figuring that even if the deer weren't moving, I would at least get to enjoy being the woods after the snow storm.

Put on my snow camo and hiked to the stand (about 1/4 mile) through a foot of snow. In getting to the stand and seeing the amount of snow that had fallen and was now falling off the trees and branches, I decided to hunt the ground. The snow had created some great natural cover over the thickets near my stand site so I checked the wind and set up about 20 yards off the trail that I hunt. At about 4:15PM, a big doe comes bounding through the snow on a path that would take her slightly quartering away at about 23-25 yards. I picked my lane and drew, let out a grunt.....she stopped as I picked a spot on her right rib cage, and fired. She walked about twenty yards after the hit and fell......made for a real easy tracking job!!:) ....Not so easy dragging her out of there but well worth the effort!!!!

lesson of my day....when in doubt, you can't hunt 'em at all from your living room couch!!!!!:);)

DJ

Matthews LX 29" 70lb
Impact Cosmic
Muzzy ZE
Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575
Magnus Stinger 4 Blade

trailer 12-07-2003 05:59 AM

RE: Post Snowstorm Success!!

DJ88, Good job. There is nothing like hunting in fresh snow. It makes it allot easier to see them coming and it’s so quite in the bush. The tracking job is easy as you mentioned. Something about going out hunting in fresh snow I just love.∏

ColinColin 12-07-2003 06:17 AM

Congratulations. (Take any pictures?)

royak 12-07-2003 06:22 AM

Way to go Congrats

Aught Six 12-07-2003 12:10 PM

Sounds like a great afternoon. Congrats!

JoeA 12-07-2003 12:47 PM

Too cool! I hope to have similar luck on my upcoming deer hunt next month.

Joe_148 12-07-2003 03:06 PM

Congrats! I went out with a friend last night with his muzzleloader in the snow. It is quite exciting, but I froze my arse off. Only because I didnt know I was going hunting with him, so I had my mcdonalds work clothes under a small set of overalls.

KoBear 12-07-2003 03:53 PM

congrats, me and my best friend sat together in a pop up blind over a bait and he missed. misjudged the distance. the deer were moving though.