HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   mauser barks.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45446-mauser-barks.html)

mauser06 12-06-2003 02:36 PM

mauser barks....

today i went out with my buddys to do some driving and such trying to get the deer to move...2 posters 2 drivers.....the 2 drivers didnt take guns they got bucks already....me and another kid didnt so we posted....1 driver kicked up a buck and hollared to let me know.....couldnt get a shot becuase he was running 90mph.....so we tracked him down and i seen him across a valley about 200+yards out....i got the fever over the antlers and didnt think..i just shot....free hand standing...over 200yards....my bullet went just low and he took off up the hill.....DANG!! looked like a nice 8pt or so from what i could see...not huge...maybe 12 14 inch spread..nice long beams though......probally 2.5year old....we couldnt find him after i missed....we checked for blood for 100yds...nothing...then we lost him....but it was time to go start the BIG drives with my friends uncles and friends.....about 15 of us.....i drove the first drive.....we put out atleast 3 bucks and a few does....they all snuck around the posters..1 kid never seen a buck when deer hunting finally seen one today....a big 8pt half rack(4 on the side it had) he missed though...so we goto another spot where alot of the deer may have ran.....i was posting this time.....nothing came though....so the drivers keep going past us becuase theres a thick creek bottom below a pasture and more posters a few hillsides away(yes we cover ALOT of land) the drive leaders driving told us to turn around the deer may double back.....i was like way right...4 or 5 more guys posted and 4 or 5 guys driving the deer aint comin out the back door....20 mins passed..i look and 2 animals were booking it through the pasture right towards me....i was the only one with a doe tag and the only junior posted where we were and i can take any buck ARs dont apply to juniors....so either way i could take the deer....they get about 100yds away and i say bah....bah and stop them...a big one and a little one.....thaboom! i shot the big one of course....dropped her right in her tracks.....the mauser strikes again....a nice BIG doe....everyone about crapped...it was a pretty good shot....i dropped it right infront of a kid a few years older then me....i dont know him...they were running right at him and i knew he didnt have a doe tag so i took the shot(yes it was safe.....she was pretty much between us....) he got to watch it all.....i dont think hes much of a hunter by the way the other guys talked...they didnt even know he had a liscense..and he looked kinda lost....so he got to see how its done....from the shooting to the gutting he watched it all.....it was my first time driving deer like that....i mean me and dad push to eachother once in a while when hunting if rough...but never successfully....it was fun in its own way but not my cup o' tea in another.....im used to hunting a thicket...30yard shots at deer standing or sneaking through...sometimes running but at 30yds it dont matter...so it was a whole new ball game....i wish i would got down and got a good rest on the buck....but you know...the fever gets to you and you dont think.....but i still got a week to fill my buck tag....and im saving my other 2 doe tags for muzzleloader season......so far thats 2 does for me this year....im doing pretty good.....now to find one with antlers......but remember guys....we shot all the deer in PA last year.....theres none left.......the 2 i got this year came from ohio id have to say.............

Nomercy 12-06-2003 04:05 PM

RE: mauser barks....

No offense buddy, but it kind of sounds like a bunch of kids and a couple old farts just going out and flinging lead...not to mention you went on a hunt with someone you didn't even know and had questionable certainty on his skill and ethics?-i.e. no license and not much of a hunter? By the sound of it, it wouldn't have been a hunt I'd have wanted to be a part of, at least you got your deer out of it.

stubblejumper 12-06-2003 05:17 PM

I would not want to be a part of that hunt either.Too many mentions of buck fever and not thinking on the part of the hunters.

KoBear 12-06-2003 06:30 PM

nice shooting. i love drives!!! remember, u cant eat antlers. congrats!!

mauser06 12-06-2003 09:31 PM

this was actually one of the safest ways of hunting ive seen....noone was flinging lead...at all...i think there was 3 shots fired by our group...2 from me and 1 from another kid he missed though....and i didnt fling my first shot...it may sounded like i did but what i mean by letting one fly is not actually getting a good rest and being ready....i got the fever when i seen the rack and all i could think of was put the crosshairs on him and fire...i was on him when i fired...just didnt think he was as far as he was and my bullet dropped a few inches....a few inches higher id have a nice buck hanging in the garage.....not like i flung lead into god knows where.....i put ONE round in my gun and ONLY one round.....go ahead.....call me a lead flingger....i do it so often!!! thats the first deer ive ever missed that was actually my fault in my life.....and its not a bunch of kids and old farts....these guys are farmers....they take us kids out to fill some tags and get us into hunting and everything....show us the ropes....they know the land like their hands and know where the deer are......they dont just stand around while we blast away.....none of that was happening.....we were really safe about our hunting.....thats the last thing we need is someone hurt.....and i didnt know alot of guys i was with....i was nowhere near most of them also.....the one kid that i talked about DID have a liscense...but none of my friends knew he even hunted or anything.....maybe hes a great white hunter...i dont know.....its friends of my friends family.....we were all invited on a deer drive......i see nothing wrong with that long as everyones safe......kobear thanx alot.....your right....you cant eat them antlers...but man..they look nice on the wall next to all your other game you took..grouse fan..crow feet...squirrel tail...turkey fan and beard....buck rack.....my wall can use a few more racks...now i got enough meat...im done till muzzleloader season unless it carries a rack.....i get bashed for going out with some friends and their family and friends of the family and having some fun hunting deer...very safely....maybe i just worded it bad....but i was rather excited at the time...but if you read this i hope it explains more....we werent acting like idiots and shooting at unsafe things and just flinging lead or anything...

skeeter 7MM 12-06-2003 11:09 PM

i got the fever over the antlers and didnt think..i just shot....free hand standing...over 200yards....my bullet went just low and he took off up the hill.....DANG!! looked like a nice 8pt or so from what i could see...not huge...maybe 12 14 inch spread..nice long beams though......probally 2.5year old....

1 kid never seen a buck when deer hunting finally seen one today....a big 8pt half rack(4 on the side it had) he missed though

a big one and a little one.....thaboom! i shot the big one of course....dropped her right in her tracks.....the mauser strikes again....a nice BIG doe....everyone about crapped...it was a pretty good shot....i dropped it right infront of a kid a few years older then me....i dont know him...they were running right at him and i knew he didnt have a doe tag so i took the shot(yes it was safe.....she was pretty much between us....) he got to watch it all.....i dont think hes much of a hunter by the way the other guys talked...they didnt even know he had a liscense..and he looked kinda lost....so he got to see how its done....from the shooting to the gutting he watched it all

i wish i would got down and got a good rest on the buck....but you know...the fever gets to you and you dont think
These quotes are why you got heat about inexperience and being unsafe. Many wouldn't even consider hunting with a group of guys they don't know and not knowing if they have a license. If he didn't and the GW stopped you guys, you would be just as guilty. Missing is part of the sport we have all done it and will in the future but making statements about fever and not thinking your going to get questioned. The doe you shot you mentioned was between you and another poster, this indicates unsafe, inexperience and lead flinging. Hey you might have been excited and not meant directly between you and the other kid but it was worded in that way, I belived you folded this deer with the kid directly behind the target. Would you consider that the safest hunt you've ever been on??? Maybe in the future you should review your post and calm down some before clicking OK, it will help other who weren't there not jump to conclusions or question what they perceive as unsafe. In this case I certainly agree with what others have said and wouldn't want to be part and certainly bragging about the days events. Hey I know your young and excited but just slow down and think. If you read these quotes or your original post and think it sounds safe then you need to go back to hunting with dad and get a few more notchs in your belt.

Congrats on the meat and enjoy.

webejonesin2 12-07-2003 04:38 AM

congrats mauser on your deer, but i do have to agree with skeeter7mm, the rush caused by the hunt can make the brain fel like your on a rocket-moving at high rate of speed, (dont want to sound rude by any means) go back and re-read your own post (after adrenaline rush wears down) and you will see why.

mauser06 12-07-2003 07:06 AM

ok i see what you guys mean....but it wasnt how it sounds....come on....you guys are all hunters.....you know how i was feeling after a day like that....ths kid DID have a liscenses for the 3rd time....my friends that seen him around before said they didnt know he hunted.....but he did and was legal......and i didnt shot the doe with that kid behind the target.....he was to my right...100yds up the hill......the doe was between us...closer to me then him....but also over 100yds OUT from the fenceline we were posted on......the bullet went nowhere near this poster.....and the buck...that sounds bad that i didnt think but i thought of all the saftey factors before we even followed him.....i know there wasnt a house anywhere down there.....and no hunters down there unless they didnt have orange on(lots of snow...orange stands out great..) it was a safe shot......just not my best....its not like the deer was running and i just opend up on him or something.....the only thing i didnt do it get down and get a good rest.....but i really didnt have time...he wanted to get out of there.....he was standing at the time but wasnt going to be after a few seconds.....so all i really did was took an offhand shot.....and i actually hit my mark....but the bullet fell some so i missed.....big deal.....i know it all sounded bad but forgive me.....i was excited and everything still....you guys are hunters you should know how i felt.....noone was hurt or killed or did anything illegal.....sorry for how it sounded.....i hope i cleared it up some.....but i doubt anyone will read this so you will think what you want....you guys of all people should understand and ask before you assume we were doing illegal and unsafe things....

stubblejumper 12-07-2003 08:50 AM

People can only see your words the way you write them and have no way of knowing what you meant to say.