HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45434-best-way-get-hair-off-clean-skull-mount.html)

click 12-06-2003 12:13 PM

best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

as i was walking around a back field on the property this morning i found a 8 pointer that had been shot with a bow. he had been there for a couple weeks (i saw the buzzards about that time) but anyway he still had the arrow laying beside him.

i was sick to look at this nice buck and because of the smell[X(] but i want to clean his skull to have it.

how do i get the hair and hide off his skull?

Trushot_archer 12-06-2003 12:20 PM

RE: best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

Skin it, remove extraneous hair and put it n a pot with water covering the head but not touching the antlers. Slowly simmer for about 3-4 hrs. I use a arrow shaft to push the tissue from the nasal cavity out and a coat hangar to remove anything left in the inner skull. Let dry an hour and than do the same prcess with 1 cup of bleach in the mix for an hour. Makes it white and purty.

click 12-06-2003 12:23 PM

ah that sounds nice but this thing is not comeing in the house!

IT STINKS:D

and i know it aint going in one of my wifes pots[:o][>:]

webejonesin2 12-06-2003 12:31 PM

Click with all due respect, go buy yourself a cheap pot, and if possible build a small out side and do it then, If not .....well i guess you might have to wait until mother nature does it for you. SRRY if sounds rude.

speyrjb 12-06-2003 12:43 PM

a gavanized #3 wash tub and a propane burner works well for this. I have done several european mounts this way. I use Borax soap in the same manner that trushot mentioned.

Main thing is dont boil it fast. Just a slow rolling boil. Before long, all of the excess meat and brain and stuff left over after you skin what you can will just disintegrate.

hoythunter48 12-06-2003 01:09 PM

So just use bleach? I saw a kit in the van dykes catalog for european mounts but i didnt want to pay 30bucks for it. I just shot a decent eight today i might do that to it

buckfever7 12-06-2003 01:45 PM

I have a large pot that I use only for this, I put it on my grill outside, keeps the wife happy, and works.

Dipperdoo 12-06-2003 02:02 PM

Crabpot + marsh + a few months=clean skull

speyrjb 12-06-2003 04:22 PM

fire ants work well too :)

click 12-06-2003 08:53 PM

now that you mention it i have heard of using borax before.

i'll give it a try.