Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount >

best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

dont use straight bleach, it will wreck the skull. dillute it first
Old 12-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do mine in a pot on the BBQ once I remove as much meat and hide as possible. To remove the cartlidge from the nose I just use long needle nose pliers just push and pull. The brain I use a 6" nail and make it mush then it boils out on the BBQ. A coleman camp stove will work well too. I also boil in cut bleach water for about an hour after the cook phase is through, let it dry overnight and see how she looks.

If your married or have a live in it is advised not to even think about doing it indoors H#ll I can't even do it the garage now, my wife loses it[:'(]
Old 12-08-2003, 05:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Iffred are you wanting to do a cut skull or euro mount?

If a cut skull then just remove the hide and meat, let it soak in bleach water(just keep the antler out of the water). After it sits for awhile come back and remove all the loose stuff, continue till you have it clean and then bleach it until it is white. If your wrapping(in cloth, leather, etc to attach to a wood) then all you need to worry about is removing the meat, tissues & hide.

The Euro mounting style as we metioned works just fine and I have done several over the years with no damage. All you need to worry about is keeping the antlers out of the bleach/water solution.

Tip for removing the hide is make your y cut in the hide then use a flat head screw driver to remove the hide from around the antlers. Just push and pry. This works for either euro or cut skull mounts.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 AM

Try this link:

http://www.southernvisuals.com/LeBou...kull_mount.htm

I just did my first one and followed this guy's instructions and it came out looking great.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:04 PM

Fire ants do work, but remember to tie a rope to the antlers and stake it to the ground or a to a pole, etc. I've had antlers dragged off by critters and never seen them again.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Take a large tub,(just large enough to cover head) and bring water to a gental rolling boil. Boil and scrape for about 2 hrs +. You need 40% Peroxide and just deep enough to soak the head. You may need to brace the head up when you do this.
Good Luck,
Rick
Old 12-08-2003, 10:23 PM

I have a colony of dermistid beetles that clean skulls off in about a week, if you skin it and remove most of the meat but as the others have said you can also boil it until the meat comes off. But for bleaching, it is hard to soak a skull in bleach or any kind of liquid without getting the antler burrs bleached also. Go to a beauty supply store, and buy a product called Basic White, it is a powdered bleach, and buy some 40 volume peroxide, it is a very concentrated form of peroxide. Mix these two together until you have a thick paste and brush on the skull being careful not to get it on the antlers. Let it sit for a couple days and hose it off, it works great. It will probably cost you about 10.00 for these but you can do 5 or 6 skulls with it.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Click;
If it is smelly and rotting the Dermistid Beetles would be the best way to go. [:'(]
If you decide to lay it on or next to an ant mound make sure that you also cover or wrap the antlers( (I covered mine with plastic trash bags) so critters dont chew on the antlers. I prefer to bury the skull in the dirt up to the antler bases if its smelly and rotting, dont pack the soil, you want to leave the soil lose and airie so the insects can access the skull, I then place a large bucket or trash can over the buried skull so the rodents and critters cant chew on the antlers and place a large rock or weight on top of the can so the wind wont blow it away, you can then dig it up and its pretty well cleaned in 9 months, I then hose off and soak over night in a diluted mix of 1/2 cup bleach and 10gallons water.
I also prefer to paint the skull white with a acrylic paint and seal with a polyurethane finish to seal the skull from airbourne grease, smoke , dust etc.... with the polyurethane finish on the skull you can wipe it clean with a damp towel.
We would love to see it when you finish your mount
Old 12-09-2003, 06:34 AM

all is good

boiled in the beach water last nite and all that hair and meat just kindof peeled off.

still a little cleanin to do but looks good

thanks yall

Quick Reply: best way to get hair off, for a clean skull mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.