HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   frozen deer, now what? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45385-frozen-deer-now-what.html)

Buckstopshere 12-05-2003 08:44 PM

frozen deer, now what?

I hung my deer up for aging but the trouble is that it is now frozen. Is there a quick way to thaw it out or do I have to wait until the outside temperature gets above freezing? Will this process effect the quality or taste of the meat,keeping in mind that I'll have to re-freeze it after packaging?

skeeter 7MM 12-05-2003 11:10 PM

RE: frozen deer, now what?

Don't leave it to thaw, the longer and slower you wait the more skinned over affect you'll have and this will equal more wastage. I would quarter the animal and bring it in the house for a few hours, start cutting it while it is cool but workable. If you have it in a shed a space heater may help, just don't let it completely thaw or get to warm. The quality of the meat should be just fine. If it froze prior to rigor setting in than the "aging process" was a futile effort, if after rigor you accomplished your goal. BTW wild meat does not need to age, while hanging meat in a cool (not frozen) enviroment for a day or two won't hurt it isn't required.

moose1915 12-06-2003 02:01 AM

i agree with what skeeter said, except for the aging part. we've always hung our deer (as long as its cold enough) for at least a week , sometimes 3 or 4 weeks, and i think the meat is better the longer it sits. my dad and i have been doing it this way for a combined total of 60 years, averaging 2-4 deer each and never lost one. just be sure the temp dosnt rise on you and keep it out of the sun. Poor mans filet mignon!
-moose

txhunter58 12-06-2003 04:59 AM

I would also dissagree on the aging. Have never let one age for a week, but the deer that I have cut up immediately have not been as tender as the one's that I let age at least 2 days. This seems to be more evident with elk than deer.

Buckstopshere 12-06-2003 05:49 AM

Good thought on quartering up (much easier to bring in the house!). I'll let the pieces thaw in the fridge and then work on them. I believe part of the advantage of hanging the deer for a few days is that the cell muscles stretch, and sometimes fracture, helping to tenderize the meat.

trailer 12-06-2003 05:57 AM

You haven’t mentioned if the deer has been skinned. Hopefully yes, because if it’s not and when you’re quartering it, you are going to have lots of deer hair all over your meat. Skeeter gave some good advise and I agree with him on aging the meat. I don’t let mine hang for more then a couple of days.

lhook7 12-06-2003 07:44 AM

Hey txhunter58,

I've heard this before, but always figured it was too hot here in Texas to let it age. What procedure do you use when aging your meat? What temperature would you consider too hot to age deer?

Thanks

young_gun 12-06-2003 08:08 AM

lhook, try quarting it and putting it on ice.

webejonesin2 12-06-2003 09:39 AM

i'd quater it then cut it up from there, its easier to wrk with for 1, and 2, in smaller chunks/pieces it wont unthaw as quickly.

jjt 12-06-2003 10:45 AM

lhook

when i lived where it was hot we quartered them up and put them in a refrigerator at around 45 f. good for a week or 2