HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How much meat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45344-how-much-meat.html)

biscuit eater 12-05-2003 02:11 PM

How much meat

Iwas fortunate to harvest a 1.5 year old 5 point buck monday during the Ohio shotgun season. I double lung shot it so there was no damaged meat. We guesstimated the weight at 110 lbs. after field dressing it. When I dropped deer off at processors I told them I wanted as many steaks as possible,back straps, and the rest in deerburger. Picked it up today got 28 packs deerburger, 8 packs of steaks, and 6 small packs of tenderloin. Average pack probably weighed a pound. Does this sound right?

Huntinlikeaveteran 12-05-2003 02:13 PM

RE: How much meat

I dont know much about meat but i got a little more than that when i picked up my 150lb 5 point this year.

Tim

skeeter 7MM 12-05-2003 02:31 PM

Question how did you get 6 packages of tenderloin when a deer only has 2 tenderloins in total that would equal 1 package?

When you say field dressed do you mean hide on or off when dropped off? This adds a lot of useless weight to the animal.

You can figure about 1/2 your skinned weight will transfer to meat for the freezer with a picky butcher. Until you actually bone out an animal it is hard to describe/believe how much weight them bones, fat and hide take up...which is all waste. We butchered my buddy's buck last night had him pegged at 170 range skinned and ended up in that 80 pounds of raw meat. Some have more and some have less, it depends on their diet, travel routes and rutting activty.

It does sound pretty close though, except the steak I find it hard to believe he only found 8 packages(1 pound each) in a 100 pound animal, especially a young deer. But who knows how they cut and decide what goes where..it appears he calls the bstraps - tloins so maybe he ain't to familar with what makes a good cut of wild meat[8D]

biscuit eater 12-05-2003 04:02 PM

Skeeter7mm, The deer was not skinned just feild dressed. I imagine they just cut the back staps in small peices to wrap it. I asked them why so few steaks and they said you only get steaks out of hind quarters. I'm not disappointed in the volume of meat. Just prefer the steaks to the burger. Guess I'll be eating alot of deer hamburger helper.

mtair 12-05-2003 04:41 PM

i usually figure around 35 pounds for the average deer , around 115 to 125 pounds in my area

skeeter 7MM 12-05-2003 11:22 PM

Biscuit, yes that is what I do with the backstraps to, but you said tloin packages were 6 in total and the tloin are the teardropped piece of meat on the inside of the body cavity...not the backstraps. By the way some call the backstraps chops but they are much better than the sirloin steaks they take off the hams. Yes the steaks do only come from the hinds for wild meat. The front shoulder can provide steak but it is most often all grind, same as the flank, neck, lower muscle meat.

Many things you can do with the ground like chili, spaghetti, sausage, jerky and of course deer burgers.

Enjoy should be some good eats.

Bob S 12-06-2003 01:48 AM

I shot a 6 point this year that weighed(with a scale, not a guesstimate) 104 pounds field dressed. I got back 45 pounds of boneless meat. Having dealt with deer processors for 25 years I know from many conversations with them that most hunters think their deer are heavier than they actually are.

trailer 12-06-2003 06:38 AM

Biscuit , what you described sounds about write. You should check into processing your own deer. I’ve been doing it for years and get the satisfaction of knowing that the meet is deboned, clean with no hair and that it’s all mine. You should check it out.

Just one thing, you can’t make jerky with ground meat as Skeeter mentioned unless he had granulated jerky in mind which I have never seen. For jerky you require long thin strips of meat. The best cut for jerky is flank steak. Enjoy your deer meat.

Bulzeye 12-06-2003 06:58 AM

I got a 7pt that field dressed with hide on at 130#.
Got back 56# of meat.

young_gun 12-06-2003 08:05 AM

trailer , How can't you make jerky out of burger? alls you need is a dehydrator and a jerky shooter and the seasonings. just wondering, because thats how i make all of my jerky