Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on a deer I hit.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question on a deer I hit.

I dont' think we're going to get one. Another one laying dead in the woods. Ridiculous!!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:00 PM

crap crap crap.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:02 PM

what I dont get is.. if he know he hit bad on the first shot then why shoot 3-4 more times??? the likely hood of you getting a shot off after the 2nd rounds is probably pretty low. Mushrooming had nothing to do with the badly hit deer.. Its not using a well placed shot. Why people blame it on their equipment I will never know.. Its called human error.. its not the equipment.. you made a bad shot. chalk it up as that and stop making excuses
Old 12-10-2003, 06:33 PM

I think that he just choked. He said that it was the biggest buck he ever shot in all the years he's been hunting. I also think that if he hit the deer that he hasn't used very good hunting skills to find it. That's another one lost in the woods. DOn't nothing make me more mad then that. Especially since he said that it was nice buck. I hope u find, even though you shouldn't have taken the shot. You must be smart when hunting. How did u know he wasn't going to stop or come back by.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Josh_E

what I dont get is.. if he know he hit bad on the first shot then why shoot 3-4 more times??? the likely hood of you getting a shot off after the 2nd rounds is probably pretty low. Mushrooming had nothing to do with the badly hit deer.. Its not using a well placed shot. Why people blame it on their equipment I will never know.. Its called human error.. its not the equipment.. you made a bad shot. chalk it up as that and stop making excuses
Egggsakly! He took what sounds to me to be an uncertain (I want to say wild ass, but won't [:@] ) shot at a moving target and then threw 4 more wild ones at it as it was running away??!! - just as likely to hit it in the ass or legs as anywhere. Then blames it on the bullet? I'm sorry, but you gotta have a little self control and not shoot in a small window at a moving target! (unless you're a far, far better shot than me). Cripes, that's part of being a hunter, let the thing go if you don't have a for shure shot. I'm very impatient with these lead slingers -zeke.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:41 PM

look for buzzards
Old 12-11-2003, 01:41 PM

may not have hit it? just go out and spend the middle of the day tracking.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I suspect he took his dolls and went home. Really is to bad since he is new member, we gave it to him he felt the heat and may never return. We have all made bad shots, poor desicion I am sure, it is easy to say why did you...blah, blah, blah. However if he learned from the experience and admits to making a mistake well that is also part of the sport. Blaming the equipment was wrong I agree, shooting 4 unlikely times at the deers arse after paunching him on a broadside not smart, poor tracking skills and so on. To me it appears he is relatively inexperienced just due to his thinking and handling of the situation...ignorance is one thing but lack of experience well how do you get it without making a few mistakes. To bad but it is part of the sport, guys miss, guys wound and guys don't always find...best we can do is say hey try this, show errors in thinking or practice and hopefully they learn. You know I have seen a number of posts on deer taken my members that reference poor shots but they harvested or found the game...so not everyone make solid decision but some are better at following up on. I bet it is experience that helped get some of those deer and they would admit to a poor shot not equipment failure. I agree bernie or his party didn't have enough to keep on the task immediately....hopefully that will not be the case from now on and he learned a very tough/valuable lesson. The same lesson that I am sure we have all learned, I know I have made poor decision which resulted in a poor outcome that is how you assess a situation and make the decision based on your abilities to ensure a positive outcome.

Not to say I side with him one bit or am against what any of you have said, just remember it is easy to point and soap box after years of experience, etc. If a hunter admits to their mistakes chances are they have learned something and gained experience to change the circumstance in the future. If they keep making the mistakes well then they should get the shaft, cuz obviously they don't give care enough or are humble enough to admit wrong doing.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Thanks to all who responded to my questions and story.
To give you an update the deer was looked for and not found.
No sign of scavenger tracks or ravens flying above, nothing.
No dead body, no cut out horns.
This one will go down as a miss.
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

we got an update anyway.

Quick Reply: Question on a deer I hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.