Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question on a deer I hit.

Old 12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: Question on a deer I hit.

missing four more times, better re-sight that rifle or attend a hunter safety course.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:50 AM

The best way to tell if a gut shot is with your nose. Go to the point where the deer was hit and start sniffing. Did you smell the deer after the shot? Don't confuse the tarsel smell with a gut shot smell; the gut shot smell is much stronger, and in some cases will allow your nose to lead you to the deer. Problem is that the deer will live long enough to outpace you even if you wait a half hour, and then you had your snow conditions. Also the other animals come to the gut shot deer quickly, using their sense of smell, so he may not be in tact when you get to him. Finally, a gut shot deer heads to water as it feels thirsty.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

mums the word.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:56 AM

if you heard it crash twice --- quit looking for blood and look for the deer
Old 12-08-2003, 08:05 AM

The 6 point I killed two weeks ago was gut shot in the evening. No blood or hair was found at the spot I shot so I came back the next morning to make sure I didn't miss. I walked a zig zag pattern on the deer's exit route and finally found a little blood about 100 yards. Then found more blood and a crash spot about 5 yards away. Then nothing. Finally resulted to just looking for the deer. Found him about 30 yards from the first blood trail lying next to a fallen tree and creek. (slightly downhill). Look hard.....he's laying somewhere!!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am hoping the reason you have not replied to this thread is because you are out there looking for this deer, that deer is down and out, he was hit hard whether it was gut shot or heart shot. Even if he is gutshot a lot of the meat will still be good with the snow and cold you'll had.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:15 AM

Yeah, and sometimes you can even see pieces of un-digested food;ie. acorns, corn, to confirm a gut shot.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

update??
Old 12-08-2003, 01:41 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

This is a tough crowd. I can understand taking a shot you feel good with right up until you have pulled the trigger and know you were off target. I have done it at the range many times. taking my time, release half a breath. squeeze. Boom. dont even have to use the spotting scope. I will know I was off target. hunting will only make that more likely. Moving target? well I've done it. I got lucky. would I do it again. Not under he exact same conditions but if I feel I have the shot, I will take the shot. I agree with teh others, that deer is likely down. I would be back out there. TAKE A DOG. I have a mutt housedog but if I tuook him out there I know he would help me out. If all else fails you will have learned something from this.

Good luck.

David
Old 12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

We're still waiting for an update.

Quick Reply: Question on a deer I hit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.