Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer --Bear and SNOW

Old 12-05-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Deer --Bear and SNOW

Well Monday is Deer and Bear season in New Jersey, with 1 foot of snow coming I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on how to hunt them both. I will be baiting for Bear and hunting that first in the beggning of the week, then Deer. Thanks
Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 AM

Default RE: Deer --Bear and SNOW

I tend to hunt deer near swamps and do so even when there is 1 to 2 feet of snow on the ground in PA. This has been very rewarding for me. I also have seen bear near the swamp as well and I know guys that do drives for bear and they hit the swamps, so that is where I would head for. Also a nice cheap sled from Wally world would help bring in gear and bring out deer.

Good luck hunting....

T
Old 12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunting in the snow is great, the best time to be in the woods is right after it quits snowing (or slows a lot). Cna you describe the area you will be hunting? Deer do love swamps when it snows, they also like to get in pine thickets to keep the snow of them.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:31 AM

The area are ridges 1200-1400 ft coming down to flats of oaks then this one area goes down further into pines and swamps. There normal pattern is bedding on ridges then feeding in mast crop. So I guess they will move to swamp-pine area. But will they come up out of it or do I have to go get them in swamp. Or set up as close as I can and guess where they will exit??Thanks for responding
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

More than likely they will move down into the swamp/pine area, they will come back out to the mast if there is a good crop of it once it quits snowing or it snows a long time. I would set up as close to the swamp/pine area as possible, do not forget the wind. Another thing you will find deer feeding on when there is a lot of snow is honey suckle, if you know where some of it is that would be a great place to set up.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Since snow will be on the ground, you should be able to see the paths they are using on Saturday and Sunday. Snow call tell you where they are moving but not necessarily when.

I would hit the swamp/pines since deer will use the cover of pines when it snows.