HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Who is good enough and how do you do it? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/45269-who-good-enough-how-do-you-do.html)

Gold Hunter 12-04-2003 06:28 PM

Who is good enough and how do you do it?

Who here is good enough to stalk deer and get one? Have you stalked deer and got one? How do you do it? How often have you been successful? Gun or Bow season? What was the weather like? What was the terrain like?

I don't think that I am good enough, but it is a goal of mine to stalk a deer within a short range for a shot.

click 12-04-2003 07:52 PM

RE: Who is good enough and how do you do it?

actually i stalked 4 does that ran out of the field and into the woods this afternoon

however, they got me today. it was very cold and rainy. i actually was just going to the farm to work on the 3 wheeler and as i was going down the driveway i saw them prance into the woods so i eased out and entered the woods.

the place i hunt is a mountainous area so i look from ridge to ridge. i could never catch up with them before i had to head to the barn. it is alot of fun but the best time is during or just after a rain when the ground is soft and the leaves are quiet. but that means most of the time you can't hear them either.

i have been successfull a couple of times doing this but you have to know where to look for the deer or you will miss um.

thats how i do it but i know there are some pros around here somewhere:D

titleist_03 12-04-2003 09:26 PM

Shotgun season this year a couple weeks ago I spotted two walking 20 yards inside the timber. So I got downwind of them about 100 yards and took a step or two every few minutes. Eventually I got 40 yards from them and was able to find a branch to rest my gun on and was able to take both of them. First time I've ever tried to stalk deer. Worked pretty well. There was a 20+ wind from the south. I was moving north. Crouch most of the time like a baseball catcher would be. Move very very slowly. Only take a step or two at a time. Get low, it's easier to see the deer I think when they're at eye level. And of course as with most of hunting it helps when lady luck is on your side!

tabby 12-04-2003 10:33 PM

Last time I hunted archery, a couple of years ago, I was riding my ATV home from turkey hunting, and drove about 20 yards from a bedded buck. So I went home, got the bow, and put the stalk on. On the way there, I spotted a button buck that was in my way, no way around him, so I had to wait for him to leave. Stalked to within 6 yards of him. He moved on, and I continued to stalk. Saw some movement ahead of me. The buck had gotten up and was walking away. I was soo mad. If it wouldn't have been for the button buck, I probably would have gotten him...

There was about 2 inches of soft snow. No wind, would NOT have been in my favour is there was any.

halcon 12-05-2003 12:16 AM

it is the way I learned to hunt . I have done it both with elk and deer in all kind of weather , but I like it best when its raining .

Coastie 12-05-2003 04:50 AM

Although I have never successfully completed a stalk, I have come pretty close several times and it is fun. Usually I am defeated by time rather than being spotted although that has happened too. The rules I use are these:
As soon as you decide to begin a stalk, get rid of everything you are carrying that you won't need, backpack, fanny pack, excess clothing, canteen etc.
Use every bit of cover and terrain feature to your advantage, even a low clump of grass can help.
Maintain as low a profile as possible, bend at the waist and move slowly if you are far enough away, many times you can get away with (for a short distance) this even if a deer is watching you, don't move directly towards a deer under these circumstances, it is less threatening, move in a zig zag pattern until you get as close as you can.
Get down on all fours or even on your belly and move slowly. Push your bow ahead of you and take your time.
Don't expose your face anymore than required to see where you are going, a mask helps a lot in these situations. If there is more than one deer in an open field, things can get pretty interesting. Move only when they have their heads down feeding. If they become suspicious, slow down even more. You ordinarily will have only about 20-30 minutes to complete a stalk on a feeding deer or group of deer before they fade off into the brush. If you spot one bedded, you will have more time but it might actually be more difficult as the cover they are most likely bedded in will make a quiet stalk more difficult as well.

wyote 12-05-2003 09:02 AM

Done it many times. In the west its the main method of hunting.

rockytop 12-05-2003 09:06 AM

My ideal condtions for a stalk, include a light or no wind and light rain and a good pair of binoculars. Also, I don't like too thick a cover because you make noise going through underbrush.

Tazman 12-05-2003 09:14 AM

I have had successful stalks with a gun several time, but the conditions were just right, wind in my face, most of the time right after a rain and some form of cover between the deer and me, I try and only move when the deer moves and stay still when they are, it is very hard to do and time consuming, a stalk can drag on for an hour or more before you get the shot or get busted.

skeeter 7MM 12-05-2003 02:57 PM

I have spot n' stalked and silent hunted successfully many times. I agree the conditions must be right, most importantly quiet ground cover or strong winds to reduce the noise to your quarry. The key is chop off little bits at a time and slow/easy is the process. I watch the animal for its movements; head bobbing, tail motion, ear directional movements and attentiveness. If the deer is looking up or earing my direction I stop moving and hang tight. After they go back to their business I wait for few seconds and then slowly continue. Try and keep a visual but something between the animal to shield your movements and outline. Also control your breathing, if you feel like you heart is jumping out your throat stop and breath again;). Wind direction is a given for all types of hunting but paramount for stalking animals.