Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any child hunting memorys?

Old 12-04-2003, 04:16 PM

Default Any child hunting memorys?

Hey I'm 13, and my uncle is huge on hunting and my dad is pretty big into it. I've been rifle hunting for about 2 years now, and I just recently took my first deer. This was the best thing I have ever done. I really enjoy hunting, and when I get older I hope to take my kids hunting, and keep the southern heritage alive.

lets here yours!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any child hunting memorys?

Well, my father is not into hunting, but my grandfather was a deer hunter. Unfortunately I did not live near him most of my life. When I was little, though he taught me to shoot, and how to make a slingshot. I used to help him kill chipmunks around his house with it.
I was almost 25 when I started deer hunting by myself. When I finally got my first one I called my grandfather. He was bursting with pride when I told him.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM

BuckSlayer 101. You are wise beyond your years. Not many fellows your age have the foresight to see that passing on traditions are what makes life so rewarding. I'm 53 but very vividly recall my first hunt ever. I was with my dad and older brother. We were bird hunting and had a super time just pushing thru some Eastern Cedar stands looking for partridge and wood cocks. My brother nailed a woodcock and my dad got 3. I came home empty-handed but with a lifelong memory I am now sharing with you. That my young friend was 41 years ago but as you can see I still treasure that memory as if it were yesterday. Glad you joined the hunting community and very happy you plan on passing it along to those who follow your boot steps.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first hunt with my Dad was a lesson learning experience. I was young but don't remember my age and we were squirrel hunting. Dad let me carry my bb gun for the heck of it. We sat down where we could watch this big old beech tree and as we sat there my dad saw me staring down the barrel of my bb gun. He took the gun away from me while explaining the error of my ways and I didn't get to hunt again till the next year. I have alot of great memories hunting with my Dad, but that first one made me realize that hunting required a great deal of attention to detail and safety.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

staring down the barrel of my bb gun

My first hunting was for groundhogs, my grandfather let my dad use his old single shot 22 teach me to shoot. Well after being drilled on gun safety until I thought my ears would bleed, the lessons began and by the end of the day I was pretty darn good so my dad told me to hunt ground hogs. Heck I was 8 years old and I thought you just walked out to the gulley and they would just poke their head up for me to kill them!!! LOL It took me 3 afternoons before I finally figured out how to even get a shot, I killed my first one on the 4th day, squirrel hunting and duck hunting I learned from my older cousin and deer hunting from him and my uncle.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first hunt was at my uncle's cabin in northern Wisconsin.
My dad and I went out for squirrels.

He shot straight up at one and blew the top of the tree-rat's head off.
The thing fell right down on me and splattered half my shirt with blood.
My Mom freaked when we came back inside thinking it was my blood.
I guess Dad should have gone in first and explained what happened.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 PM

it was hunting pheasant with my dad .....I was mad that I didnt get anything all day. So we were standing by the truck talking about a TV show ( even remember which one ...alien nation ) when a pheasant came out of the woods about 10 yrds from me. Luckily I still had my gun loaded ....well wasnt that mad for long