Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fun doe story

Old 12-02-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Fun doe story

Well, i was hunting with my uncle, my cousin, & my brother. We just got done hunting our stand about 11 am. It was a bad day. Snow was flying hard, wind was blowing, guys all over our spot. So we drove to my uncle's cousin's spot. he has a nice stand by posted field, which we have permission to be on, & woods behind him. he got his early & left.

We drove around & ate lunch & got warm. We pulled up & stopped. As we all got out of the truck & loaded our guns, a doe bounds across a cut down bean field. she runs 5yrds from us across the road. We were surprised. She ran into the woods about 40 yards & stopped. at this point i am sitting in the ditch before the woods begins wettin my pants at how close this doe came. I put my clip in & popped the sight caps up. I couldnt find her in the scope. WAIT i found her. BOOM. I am such a bad free hand shooter. I missed her & she ran. We are walking the field line as my uncle looks for blood from her. we walk down & go under a fallen branch held on by the tree. THERE SHE WAS! She was standing there. unphased! My brother,13, pulled his .243 up to his shoulder & fired. She dropped. Right to the ground. We told my uncle to stop. we sat in the woods about a half hour & my brother on his 1st year of hunting bagged a nice doe.

Tim
Old 12-02-2003, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Fun doe story

well congrats to your brother,sorry you couldnt have gotten her though.still sounds like a fun hunt
Old 12-02-2003, 09:28 PM

Default RE: Fun doe story

how about this one....I'm hunting with my uncle and his little daughter...and I go ahead of them...so i can get to my stand in case they drive something to me....well they didn't get me enough time because i'm making my way across the bean field to one of my stands and i happen to look over to my left...and there are 5 does just trotting out of the woods....i just sit down in the middle of the field and....i prolly stuck out like a sore thumb...but those 5 does and I had a stare down for at least 20 mins....I couldn't shoot one because i didn't have a doe permit. They didn't really know i was out there....but they didn't want to come out into the field so they went back into the woods up past my uncle....so i get up slowly hoping maybe there's a buck close. I grab my pack and head towards my stand slowly and quietly...i get within 50 yards of it, and i look past it and there are 2 does and possibly a buck about 60 yards past my stand...so i just stand there and look at them for about 15 mins...they walk off....I finally get into my stand at like 530.....i got there at 430...took me an hour to get into my stand...i only had a lil under an hour to hunt....so i made it worth while...I rattled and grunted...i called in 2 does i think i saw earlier really close...but they got a whiff of me and snorted and ran for 10 yards...i grunted and got them to come back...but it was dark by then and i just let them walk past as i gathered up to leave....what a nite...