Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Old 11-29-2003, 04:49 PM

Default RE: Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Well,I' m against driving.

Around here there are @ 20-30 drivers and 20-30 standers per club
and I would say 4 out of 5 clubs mottos would be...
If it' s brown it' s down
They will march right through your back yard,side yard,front yard
Posted or not,it dosent matter
I saw a club about to drive a piece I have a stand at so I jumped in the stand.Lead started flying(atleast 12 shots)so when it was over I went to see what they got.
A pointer and a button buck(not legal)then one of the guys said he he hit one but it got though the line.They dident even try to find it,they had other places to go.
I went and got it....A doe(not legal)
Old 11-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had some yahoo' s doing a drive first light opening morning! WHY? All it does is push the deer deep into the swamps! Not for me! I saw a group of guys stop at the store buy a case of beer and then seen them about an hour later driving a field! The same field another group drove just before they got there! I see these guys in their caravan of trucks driving from spot to spot doin drives, everyday during gun season! I think the hardest part of doin a drive is finding a spot where someone else hasn' t pushed it a minute ago! I also believe if a deer is spoked from 10 people in the woods there is no escape routes! They just run for their LIVES anywhere they can! But if thats you, go for it! I' ll avoid that area like the plague JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!![:-]
Old 11-29-2003, 06:05 PM

I dont disagree with " deer drives" --but when it comes to be more of a slaugter then hunting then yes its not right. After reading the last three pages that have been posted by everyone, I just like all have our own opinion, but we need to stick together as hunters. driving here that i participte in on occasion only consists of maybe max of 5 people, i trapse off and find a nice little spot to sit, now weather or not the rest push to where im sitting is a differnt matter. I love to be outdoors, and even if my neighbors arent out in the woods i still just go and find a place to sit, and wait. maybe something will show itself maybe not-u never know.
I do beleive that the spike horn i shot on second day of rifle season was pushed out by other hunters on adjacent property from where i was sitting, but he came bolting into veiw and then just stopped running and started mozying along. The rest is history.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Spike

In my opinion, it' s wrong to judge another hunter for participating in any kind of LEGAL hunt. If you are upset about someone trespassing, have that person prosecuted. If you are upset about someone ruining " YOUR" hunt on " PUBLIC" land then maybe you should get off of your wallet and buy some private land that you can post, or perhaps lease hunting rights on someone else' s land. Public land is for everybody to use. I' d imagine that there are some perfectly ethical drivers out there who get annoyed that someone might actually hang a tree stand right in the middle of a bush that they drive every year. I think we should lighten up a little and suport each other as LAW ABIDING outdoorsmen/women.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Question is, " Is Driveing Deer Really Hunting" ? It has nothing to do with suppporting it just because it may be legal and we should ALL support it just because its legal and we should stick together, .... BULL$HIT!!!
I see no skill assiociated with useing dogs in hunting when it comes to the use of them in driveing deer. It is more like a meat hunt and like someone said, " If its brown its down" . I know for I have been on some drives back in N.C. and with a limit of 6 deer, it was just for one thing, MEAT!!!, as we would stand sit in the A.M. and drive deer after lunch. These beagles would run the deer for long distances and I see no skill in shooting a deer that is totally exhausted with its tongue hanging out its mouth on the verge of collaspe being chased by a bunch of beagles. The meat so dang tough you have to soak it in a brim of salt water/vineger mix.
Lot of these dogs may or may not be recovered and many evenings you see lost dogs along the roadways. Some of these dogs go feral and run deer/wildlife. When stand hunting one morning I had two deer run by me being chased by 4 feral dogs, these dogs weren' y barking at all and had no collars, my hunt was screwed so I got down and started back for the truck, when I encounted these dogs again, the front dog, a chow mix it looked like got into a semi-sneak position as it approached me, I shot it as the others left. These homeboys hunt this way back in N.C, and take drive hunting very serious and I know I have probably step on some toes with the people whom to chose this style of hunting, its just not my style, but I have been there and done it, and I don' t have to support it just because it may be legal, Bobby
Old 11-29-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

when you say things about groups of 20-30 hunters, and people with a motto of " brown its down" you arent talking about " deer drivers" you are talking about those certain people. i drive deer and don' t do any of these things. As for driving deer(when using dogs, whistles, or yelling) on public lands, i am against that just out of respect for the other hunters. I don' t see a problem with driving deer when you just walk through and push them out. The thing i don' t like about dogs and yelling is that it is just unneccesary. We don' t do that, we don' t need to, but if you do, i support you. and it is hunting
Old 11-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

In my earlier post, I said we should stick together and support ALL legal methods of hunting, and I will stick with that statement.
As I said some of the traditional styles of hunting were here long before " hunting" was popular as a " sport."
The deer drives that you guys are complaining about, does not sound like a traditional deer drive. Having never hunted that way before, I don' t know for sure, but 20-30 people doesn' t sound like a normal deer drive hunt to me.
I will stand behind legal hunting, However, when it comes to trespassing, thats another thing altogether! The people doing the deer drives, cross the line from " hunting" to " poaching" when they cross onto posted property!
BTW, that is the only thing I have against hunting with dogs, they don' t know property boundries, but their owners, like the deer drivers do!
Old 11-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I HAVE BEEN HUNTING SINCE I WAS 10 YRS OLD( I AM NOW 40). WE WOULD HUNT TILL 9:00 AND THEN DRIVE TILL 3:00 AND THEN GO SIT , AFTER ONE DAY OF THIS NO MORE DEER FOR TWO DAYS BUT NEVER ANY TROPHY BUCKS I GUESS ITS WHAT YOU WANT A TROPHY OR FREEZER MEAT , I JUST DONT GET THE FEELING FROM SHOOTING A RUNNING DEER AS I DO FROM SITTING AND WATCHING THEM DO THERE NATURAL HABITS AND ROUTINES BUT I DO PRAY ON THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING DRIVES AROUND ME I JUST LET THEM RUN ALL THE DOES TO ME AND THE BUCKS ARE RIGHT BEHIND THEM . MOST PEOPLE WHO SAY THE DEER ARE GOING NOCTURNAL SP. DONT SPEND THE TIME TO WATCH DEER AND SEE WHAT THEY ARE REALLY DOING . AT MY STAND AREA I SEE DEER ALL DAY LONG . BUT I HAD TO LEARN TO BE SCENT FREE AND WELL EDUCATED ON THE DEER IN MY 200 ACRES. IF YOU LET THEM DO THERE THING THEY WILL NOT CHANGE THERE HABITS . I TRY TO BECOME A TREE TO MY DEER I CAN SAY THAT I SEE THREE TIMES THE NUMBER OF DEER SITTING AS I DID DRIVING AND THATS ALL SEASON LONG.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:47 AM

The question is kind of like....
Are longliners and dragers really fisherman?
No,they rape the ocean and dont care about the long term effect.
The bycatch is discarded....dead
But it' s legal ,so its ok
How about shark fin soup...thats legal,so its ok
We now have Russian,Japs and Canadian mother ships2 miles off our inlet.They depleated thier stocks to nothing
IMHO ...Just because it' s legal dosent make it right
Old 11-30-2003, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ok I will back off a little bit on this. I still do not agree with drives, but I' m sure (hope) there are hunters attempting to keep the animals best interest at heart. I just can' t understand why. A lot of people have said it' s the only way they will see deer. I just can' t comprehend that. Like someone said, doing drives on opening day?? Just doesn' t make sense. They WILL stick to their habbits if given the opportunity. Once they are pushed and shot at by 10 guys all bets are off. I really think it' s people that do drives that put them in this nocturnal never to be seen pattern. Why do I see 60 -70 deer during bow season and maybe 4 or 5 during gun? I just don' t think it' s neccesary. Instant glorification as someone said. But, if that' s what you believe that you have to do and it is within the parameters of the law, then I won' t condem anyone for it anymore. I just won' t like it!! Just try and see the other side. What if nobody did any deer drives? Don' t you think you' d see a lot more just walking or sticking to their normal routine? I dunno JMO . sorry if I offended anyone.

Quick Reply: Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.