Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ? >

Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Old 11-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

When I was younger I lived in Jersey where you had a 6 day season and deer didden' t pattern so easy because of the high people traffic disturbing them. I was on several drives then and it was fun lots of comradery kind of like deer camp for those who can' t afford week off and the price. By the way there is a lot of skill in finding a good waiting spot and the deer might jump up at mock7 but quickly go into sneek mode. Any way each to his own I stand hunt now and love it but a well organized drive would be fun.

Do they still drive with dogs in Carolinia. Now there is a controversey!!!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:58 AM

No, I don' t perceive stand hunters as ranch hunters, because I spend 50-60 days a year during bow season in a stand " hunting" as you say.
And no, I don' t have a 4-wheeler, stand, or coffee. I do have a carbon suit, but actually it was a gift last year.
And yes, three or four a year that are skittish young does and buttons take off running because they don' t know better when they catch a whiff. I' m sure that' s how many a group of revered stand hunters kick up inadvertantly on the way to and from their stands in two days of all day hunting.
And yes, I do go the extra mile. Unfortunately, most of the bucks on the property are 4.5 years or older and they do not move during the day outside of the rut. I know this because I' ve spent days in observation stands downwind of their bedding areas watching them go in and out before and after shooting hours. During the rut, they move all day, all over the place and sometimes you are in bow range, sometimes you aren' t. You know this as well as I do.
To be honest, the only reason we started doing drives on the property was to thin out some of the OLDER bucks. Half the bucks we' ve shot in the last three years have been over 6.5 years old and the only time we see them in daylight is in the two days of gun.
Well, the one thing I do agree with you is your last comment. Good luck and you be safe, and we will just agree to disagree on this point.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW I can’t believe how hot a topic this is. I’ve hunted deer doing drives many times, and will continue to do so when I feel the need. I think in many places if you don’t drive the deer you won’t see them. What many of you guys have to realize is that hunting isn’t the same or under the same condition as you hunt. Not all drives are a 100 yahoos running through the woods. I’ve been on drives were you had to be pretty precise in your setups or you were wasting your time. Before bashing something so hard you have to realize the premise that its being done under.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Chip Eaken

No, I don' t perceive stand hunters as ranch hunters, because I spend 50-60 days a year during bow season in a stand " hunting" as you say.
And no, I don' t have a 4-wheeler, stand, or coffee. I do have a carbon suit, but actually it was a gift last year.
And yes, three or four a year that are skittish young does and buttons take off running because they don' t know better when they catch a whiff. I' m sure that' s how many a group of revered stand hunters kick up inadvertantly on the way to and from their stands in two days of all day hunting.
And yes, I do go the extra mile. Unfortunately, most of the bucks on the property are 4.5 years or older and they do not move during the day outside of the rut. I know this because I' ve spent days in observation stands downwind of their bedding areas watching them go in and out before and after shooting hours. During the rut, they move all day, all over the place and sometimes you are in bow range, sometimes you aren' t. You know this as well as I do.
To be honest, the only reason we started doing drives on the property was to thin out some of the OLDER bucks. Half the bucks we' ve shot in the last three years have been over 6.5 years old and the only time we see them in daylight is in the two days of gun.
Well, the one thing I do agree with you is your last comment. Good luck and you be safe, and we will just agree to disagree on this point.

This is ok by me I don' t want to pi$$ people off I guess it' s my .02.
No hard feelings here.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:29 AM

ORIGINAL: wimp

WOW I can’t believe how hot a topic this is. I’ve hunted deer doing drives many times, and will continue to do so when I feel the need. I think in many places if you don’t drive the deer you won’t see them. What many of you guys have to realize is that hunting isn’t the same or under the same condition as you hunt. Not all drives are a 100 yahoos running through the woods. I’ve been on drives were you had to be pretty precise in your setups or you were wasting your time. Before bashing something so hard you have to realize the premise that its being done under.
I hear what you are saying.
I do not have a problem with driving just use it where we hunt as a last ditch.
I know a lot of deer I have taken were results of a drive by others.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:50 AM

Been there and done that! I belonged to cabins and drove with the big gangs for years, but as of late (the last 6 or 7 years) I' ve become a solo hunter and don' t consider " driving" game to be sporting enough for me personally! But I' ll be the first to admit I have killed deer and bear off of the big drives that I wasn' t a scheduled participant! As far as the safety aspect goes, they could ban driving deer here in PA on public ground tomorrow and I wouldn' t shed one single tear!
Old 11-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

GoldHunter, you don' t see anyone deciding what is hunting? look at the topic of this thread. And the very first post in it said " I don' t believe people who Drive deer to achieve a kill are " Hunters" " . Another person said " I don' t think it' s any form of hunting. "

looks like people are deciding what is or is not hunting. Driving deer is fair and ethical. i dont see anyone complaining about bird hunting with a dog. Same thing isnt it? just pushing game out of their cover.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

opening day of deer season (december 8th) we will be driving a piece of property. after hunting till about 10, we meet up and push this same piece of property for the last 2 years. the deer bed up by the road and the houses, we sneek up there all quiet and push the deer out to people waiting below. we push them so our scent gets to them before we do and the standers usually get a shot at a walking deer or a stopped deer. the deer can smell us before we get there, so they dont run, the sneek away. i feel that this is one of the only ways to kill a deer on this property by the time december comes around. i dont really like driving deer but do see the advantage to it, and i wont argue since someone shot a dandy 9-pointer last year. and about the safety issue, we all sit in stands so that we are shooting down, not out. seems alot safer to me.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

While I have never been a part of a deer drive, I' ll start by saying " to each, their own!" There are many different ways of hunting, some types are steeped in tradition that go back for generations. Some types of hunting may or may not be better than another type! SO WHAT!!?? May I remind you that unless you are wearing a loin cloth and using a " crude" hand made weapon, MAYBE YOU are not REALLY HUNTING either!
I think that we as hunters should stick together a lots more than we do! We should support ANY and ALL LEAGAL means of hunting. I think if you feel strongly against a certain type of hunting, you should speak out in local forums or hearrings. Here in Texas, we have local forums where people can let the game commission know their feelings on proposed law changes. If you don' t have that, you can write or call someone in your state.
People would be better served to do that, than to gripe on the internet!
I think that most of these gripes are more of an " ego stroker" than anything else!"
" My way is better than your way, so I' m a better hunter than you!"
We mostly talk against methods that we have never tried and know little or nothing about!
In closing I' ll say again, we need to STICK TOGETHER and support LEAGAL hunting!
The anti-hunters and anti-gunners have a common goal, END ALL HUNTING AND FIREARM OWNERSHIP! Our goal should be to PROMOTE LEAGAL HUNTING!
Old 11-29-2003, 01:43 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I took advantage of a deer drive today. I have complained about the dog hunters before. I know that it' s a different type of hunting but it has bothered me when the dogs ruined the tranquility of my hunt. I been displeased before when the human drivers would who-op and Whah Hoo! Today was a doe day here in VA. I knew that the guys who frequently run dogs on the public land I hunt would be out there. I knew it would be crazy crowded. I prefer pushing deep into the woods by myself and waiting either on the ground or in a tree. Often I don' t see a deer all day. Today I wanted to take a deer. I wanted to put some meet in the fridge. I set up overlooking a draw that I figured the dogs would push the deer thru. I was right. I shot my rifle at the lead deer who was coming thru at a trot. I hit him but it wasn' t a nice clean hit. I had to shoot several more times. I hit him three times. It was exciting and a different kind of hunting. It was definately hunting. anyone who says it isn' t must also discount quail and pheasant hunting of any other hunting you do with dogs. I like bow hunting because many people don' t have the patience and the woods are much less crowded. I usually don' t see anyone during bow season. During rifle season last year I stayed deep in the swamp or in the woods that no-one drives. I saw one deer. He was a monster. I will probably go back to those lonely woods where I am trying to draw that nice deer in, but today I killed a button buck. Overall I' m pleased It wasn' t the clean quick kill that I have always imagined, but my objective wasn' t bragging rights on a perfect shot. It was success. If I want to be able to continue to hunt the way I like to hunt. I have to stand up for the rights of those hunters who I am usually annoyed by. I am still not very comfortable about being out there in the area they hnt when they drive the deer. But I made a calculated decision. I was up pretty high and I chose a productive spot. I will also add that they guys who were part of this drive were very cool and helped me find the blood trail and even look for the deer I shot. He hadn' t gone far but it was thick and I lost the trail fora bit. They were congratulatory and no-one seemed to have an issue with me using their drive to take my deer.

David

Quick Reply: Is Driving deer is really " hunting" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.