Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My best hunt ever!!!!

Old 11-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default My best hunt ever!!!!

Yesterday I took Kerri one of my 11 year old twins hunting with me, I had her sitting right next to me leaning up against a big pine tree right inside the woods next to a pond and a small field. We had been on stand about 1/2 hour when she nudged me to point out a doe that had entered the field about 100 yards from us heading in our general direction along the edge of the field, well we watched her work her way slowly towards across along the edge of the field and then when she was directly across from us she turned and headed right for where we were sitting. Well she entered the edge of the woods and slowly browsed her way closer to us, we were now fully exposed to her leaning against our tree, me sitting with my shotgun across my lap and Kerri with her eyes down to a slit watching as she feed even closer to us. This doe was 20 foot from us and had no idea we were there. It' s funny though how deer seem to have a 6th sense telling them something is not right, she started to stare right at us from 20 feet, slowly lifting one front hoof, setting it down and then lifting the other, finally she decided we were no threat and went right back to feeding, slowly she feed her way back out of the woods and crossed the short distance to the other side of the field and melted into the woods.

The look on Kerri' s face told me that she was now officially hooked on hunting! We sat until dark hoping that a buck would follow her, but no such luck, we slide out of the woods and back to the truck, Kerri looked at me with the look only a child can give of absolute awe and said " Dad I could even see her eye lashes" , I was hoping that she could see a kill, but I doubt now that it will be needed for her to be hooked!

To anyone who has never taken a child hunting you are denying yourself one of the greatest thrills you can possibly have as a hunter!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My best hunt ever!!!!

That it awesome Tazman. Really awesome. Can' t wait to take my boy out. Haven' t seen you over at bowhunting board in a while, must be out there with a gun eh?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

badshot I mainly post here from work and was off all last week, I will be poking my nose back into the bow forum once I get some meat in the freezer and put the gun back where it belongs.[]
Old 11-25-2003, 10:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

That' s really inspiring, Tazman. I imagine she' ll be reliving that hunt for a long time to come. Sorry you weren' t able to get any shooters. Still, just feeling the rush from getting so close to the wildlife must' ve been an immense thrill for her.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great time you two had TAZ. I hope you two have many more experiences like that together.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Very cool, Taz! She will remember that forever----both getting close to the deer and sharing it with her Dad!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Great story Taz. I got to take a guy out two weekends ago This was the first time he had ever been hunting. We spent a few days teaching him about the rifle, making sure he could shoot, and was ready. . He shot a nice 7 point. He is hooked now. This next weekend he is coming back to fill his doe tags.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

You all are right, if we want our sport to continue we need to introduce every one we can to it. The twins have taken turns going out with me since last year, these two young ladies will continue the tradition and I am sure they will teach thier children the love of the outdoors that Dad gave them.

Every one of us is responsible for teaching our youth the joys of the outdoors.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt Taz.

Quick Reply: My best hunt ever!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.